11 messages
29/09/2013 at 11:25
Have a 4 feet cordyline and this year it has started to turn yellow and brown over the last couple of months, any idea how to fix before it is past saving.
29/09/2013 at 13:37

Hiya Scott

Is it the lower leaves?  This is natural,habit of the plant. It wants to form a trunk and sheds lowest leaves.

29/09/2013 at 14:22
No it's all the leaves, the new ones grow in as dark green and then start turning yellow with reddish brown spots. The lower leaves have now started to droop downand the upper leaves are still green for the last four inches beside the trunk.
29/09/2013 at 19:35

It could be a nutrient deficiency or being too wet. Can you post a picture of it?

29/09/2013 at 23:28

Yep could be wet.  You haven't been watering have you? ,cordylines are a definite no water plant for me even on my light sandy loam.  Cordylines need to be on higher parts to avoid getting soaked.

29/09/2013 at 23:29

Yep could be wet.  You haven't been watering have you? ,cordylines are a definite no water plant for me even on my light sandy loam.  Cordylines need to be on higher parts to avoid getting soaked.  Maybe remove it to a pot or drier spot

01/10/2013 at 10:09

Hi there, thanks for the suggestions, have added a photo of the plant as my profile picture (could not see any other way). I have re-potted the plant and added more drainage to the container along with giving it a feed, time will tell.

01/10/2013 at 10:39

I was actually thinking the Cordyline could be too dry, especially if in a pot. They like well draining dampish soil. They grow massive in Ireland and up the west coast of the UK where it is wet.

01/10/2013 at 12:27

I think the variety determines how dry compost needs to be.  Down here cordylines thrive everywhere.  However, the GCs are full of new hybrids that I find resent too much damp.  Cannot recall its name but a pink one I grow in a pot just does not want water at all.  

01/10/2013 at 13:25

Hi Scott- I'm in East Ren too! I don't grow Cordylines because of the hardiness issue but I do grow Irises, Phormiums and Sempervivums. Drainage is the key- the better it is the more likely they'll be to thrive. It's been very dry here as you'll know (water isn't something we usually go short of!) but I'm wondering if you've watered a bit too much to compensate. I rarely water my phormiums and they're in pots.  Getting it repotted with as much grit as you have soil is probably the best solution just now and watch it's not getting blasted by cold winds. 

01/10/2013 at 14:01

Cordylines are hardy in sheltered areas with good drainage.

I grow them and up the Scottish coast to Ullapool they grow into tree size, just as they do in Southern coastal England.

http://www.ullapool.camusnagaul.com/localinfo.htm

They do badly in exposed dry or exposed wet areas.

email image
11 messages