London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
5 messages
10/07/2013 at 01:41

Years ago my grandfather put this into his garden for some reason and since then it's grown beyond control, taking over fences and growing out into a snicket and making it difficult to walk down. He passed away and my grandma can't keep upto it so we're looking to remove it, I dug down a few inches but the roots have grown deep, wide and thick. What is the best method of removing this pest, Am I forced to remove it or can I use some form of pesticide to get rid of it?

For the record it's this horrid thing:

http://www.habitas.org.uk/gardenflora/images/cotoneaster_horizontalis1.jpg

10/07/2013 at 06:25

Brilliant shrub, great for bees and birds, but it does need to be kept pruned well back every year in that sort of situation.  You could cut it right back flat to the fence and then prune it every year - indeed, that might be the easiest solution.

But if your grandma wants it gone then what you'd better do is cut it right down to the base and then use a stump killer on the stump - Roundup make a good one and there's also Bayer Garden Tree Stump Killer.  If I remember correctly you have to apply the stump killer in the autumn winter - I'm sure it comes with instructions. 

That will stop it growing - it might need a couple of applications, and patience will be required.  Then, when it's truly dead it'll be easier to dig the stump out if that is what is required. 

Good luck 

10/07/2013 at 10:03

Cyantist, pesticides kill pests, not plants!  You need a herbicide. But it is not the solution I would use.

As this is such a nice shrub, couldn't you cut back the branches that are in the way?  Cut them back to the main stem.

10/07/2013 at 10:07

Great bee plant, good red berries and leaves later

10/07/2013 at 17:13

They are attractive shrubs if you can keep upto them, but quite simply put my grandma can't, hence why we want it gone. I'm going to cut it right back tomorrow and then apply the stump killer like suggested, We've cut it right back in hopes it would grow a little more manageable but frankly it's just come back much thicker and grown in more awkward positions, so it has to go.

email image
5 messages