Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

could-anybody-identify-this-for-me-please

Growing some chills at home indoors. I woke up this morning to notice the underside of some of the leaves covered in white eggs, some have hatched into larva and one of two are looking like they are fully grown adults. I immediately thought of whitefly. But after googleing a few pictures I'm not so sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can start dealing with this as soon as possible.

I have enclosed a picture

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

They look like standard aphids to me.  Adult whitefly will be immediately visible as they will fly around the plant when you disturb it.  If you don't see any of those, they are normal aphids.  Repeated spraying with a hand-sprayer containing a few drops of ordinary washing-up liquid in the water should clear them up (it drowns them.)  I use basic 'value' type detergent rather than fancy-smelling ones which may contain things plants don't like.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you for the fast reply. I can see one or two with wings. If you click the picture there is one almost cenrtal. Although they are not flying. I'll start with the water/washing up liquid spraying right now.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Normal aphids do produce adults that fly, which is what the one in the photo is.  Whitefly adults are totally white and look and fly like tiny, tiny butterflies - if you ever see them (hopefully not as they're more of a pest than the run-of-the-mill aphid!) I'm sure you'll recognise them.image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.