London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
08/06/2014 at 22:32

Please help!  Moved into this house last August, and the garden has a well established crab apple tree.  Had lots of fruits over winter, blossom in spring, but now its dropping its leaves like its autumn!!  Leaves are green, with brown dead bits at the edge.  Its this something I need to panic about, and is it something I can treat?  Have had crab apples previously, but never had this problem! Many thanks x

09/06/2014 at 06:45

Not sure Sertolicell,  but bumping it up for you so that someone else might be able  to help 

09/06/2014 at 09:42

Can you see if it still feels well anchored into the ground, with the wet weather followed by some strong winds last year it might have loosened from the ground.

09/06/2014 at 18:40

Feels rock solid - am having a panic as its a lovely well established tree and if theres something I should be doing I want to do it!!  Started dropping leaves over the last 2-3 days - HELP!!!! xxxx

09/06/2014 at 18:44

Canker can make leaves drop that are on infected limbs

09/06/2014 at 18:51

Can I treat that and what does it mean for the tree?  Its all over the tree as far as I can see - its quite a large tree.  The leaves are all green, but all seem to have these brown bits on them.  Because this is my first summer living with this garden, I don't know if it does it every year??

09/06/2014 at 18:53

are you getting any branch die back if you have tell me what it looks like

09/06/2014 at 18:59

No - seems to be across the whole tree evenly - just looks like the trees dropping them as it would in autumn (if that makes sense!).  There are crab apples forming on the branches as normal - it had vast amounts of fruit over the last winter.

09/06/2014 at 19:18

I know this sounds daft after the rain we have had, but have you been getting a dry spell recently, and have you got free draining soil that does not hold moisture

09/06/2014 at 19:46

Has been quite dry this week, but we were swimming a couple of weeks ago - a few feet away is quite a damp corner.  The lawn is old - would it be any help to spike it well with a fork to allow moisture down you think?  Really appreciate any help - love my plants! xx

09/06/2014 at 19:54

You could try water round the tree quite a bit everyday but dont overdo it, not just next to the trunk but a wide area and then you can see if this helps

When canker on these trees develop it is usually trees that are suseptible to drought stress

09/06/2014 at 20:00

Thanks - anything else I can do to treat it - is canker something that will sort itself out, or am I stuck with it?

09/06/2014 at 20:41

Hi S

Take a step at a time, give it a water see what develops, if it is proven to be drought stress, and if you want to keep the tree you will need to incorporate a irrigation system that will water the tree and also check the soil to see if it is free draining

As you moved in last August you dont really know the tree and how it performs try this first and hopefully this will work for you

Have a look at the tree and see if you can see any signs of canker, you could a get picture off the internet and compare, when I said to you canker right away it was because of the brown edges round the leaves, but give the watering a go and we will go from there

09/06/2014 at 21:12

Will peer at it again tomorrow - I haven't noticed anything odd other than the leaves dropping off.  Don't like to panic, but it is strange. xxx

09/06/2014 at 21:21

Also  check for , what looks like little holes or marks on the branches and if there is anything that is growing from them

10/06/2014 at 08:45

Have a look at this link - does it bear any resemblance to what you have? If so - you probably have fruit scab - a common fungal problem (some crab apples are very prone) - not terminal & you can treat with fungicidal spray if you are so inclined (lots of advice online - see RHS website). I have it on a quince & a John Downie  crab apple. I haven't gone down the spray route yet - it was bad last year but I did all the 'good hygiene' stuff & things don't look so bad this year so will wait & see.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problems/fruit-and-nuts/apple-and-pear-scab/372.html

10/06/2014 at 11:24

Could you try and take pictures of the tree and the leaves on each side, a close up of any areas that dont look right

10/06/2014 at 18:44

Hmmm, the leaves aren't as obviously scabby as the picture  but are browned in places, and the fruits look fine Topbird (feels odd typing 'topbird', haha!!), but a lot of the other symptoms such as a mild damp season and premature leaf dropping fit the description.  Will make sure I get rid of the fallen leaves, and also make sure its not too dry.  Will put some pics on in a couple of days (when husband is back who can work this computer better than me!) and see what you both think!  Really appreciate any help thank you!

10/06/2014 at 19:10

Great Sertolicell

Its good to get different views from other people, depending on where you are located and different soil conditions, things can work for others in one location that dont work for others in another location and depending on what type of crab apple it is

Learn to use that computer girl

Cheers

10/06/2014 at 22:10

Haha - my friends take the mick out of me for being such a technophobe!!  Don't mind using the computer to get plant advise, but other than that, would rather be outside in the garden digging!  Think the neighbours are wondering why I keep staring at the tree though!!

1 to 20 of 28 messages