London (change)
Today 9°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 8°C
5 messages
13/07/2013 at 13:04

I have an Amelanchier in my front garden which I bought in May this year. It's about 8ft, pot is only 300mm dia x 220 deep - the pot it came in - but I thought best wait until til winter to repot. Stones on top of the soil to keep moisture in / weeds out.

Garden is south- east facing and fairly unsheltered. Thought this would be fine as Amelanchier is "robust" hardy, likes sun.

It was happy until the heatwave, but now the leaves are drying out, yellow, brown and crispy, from the bottom branches up. I'm giving it a full watering can once or twice a day... the pot is kept moist. Doesn't seem to help though, it's getting crispier looking by the day. 

Am I watering too much? Too little? Do I need to put it out in the back garden in the shade, or will moving it upset it more?

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Any advice most greatefully recieved! Thanks 

13/07/2013 at 13:26

Are you watering with tap water?  I believe Bristol tap water is quite 'hard' ie has calcium in it.  Amelanchiers like acid to neutral soil, so possibly the fact that you're having to water it this much means that there's a build up of calcium in the pot which won't suit it.  I'd move it into the shade during this hot spell so that you don't have to water it so much.  

I'd also consider repotting it - even now - in ericaceous compost.  

Have you got access to rainwater for watering it?

13/07/2013 at 19:46

I think there are probably more roots than earth in the pot. I would repot it now, in ericaceous compost as Dove has said, also in a much bigger pot. This shrub grows into a small tree.

13/07/2013 at 19:49

I agree Sue, as a general rule trees are sold in pots that are too small for them - they need to be planted on pretty soon.

13/07/2013 at 20:50

Yes! tap water. Water butt has run out. I'd just cottoned on to the ericaceous thing today but tap water calcium just wouldn't have occurred to me, thank you.

I will get some ericaceous and pot on - seems like the lesser evil - and reposition in shade. Thanks very much Dove & Sue, much appreciated. 

email image
5 messages