Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Crocosmia Lucifer

I do a lot of other peoples garden visiting as part of the National Garden Scheme and always note how late their Crocosmia Lucifer is at flowering, when mine have been finished for weeks.  This year, end of June and they are already halfway thru' flowering so by August (which is the time I see them in flower elsewhere), they'll be over and already the leaves starting to turn brown.  Are my Crocosmia Lucifer unique?  I live in Surrey, so not particularly tropical.  Even on some of the best known garden supplier websites, they say the flowering period is August/September.  This isn't just a one off fluke for this year - always happens, which frustrates me as I really miss the colour later in the season.  Any ideas?

• Mines are just beginning to show some red now. I think they will be in full glory in a couple of weeks! Im in Yorkshire.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Are you sure it's Lucifer? 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

There's no flower stems on mine yet, but I'm up near Sunderland and I think it flowered in Aug last year like you said. I saw another red one while searching online the other day that supposedly flowers after Lucifer- I'll see if I can find the name of that again in case that is any good to you...

Wearside, England.
  • SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

No flowers on mine yet.  In Norfolk.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Broadleigh says June to August

Mine rarely flowered at all so I dumped it

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431
    I live in Dorset and have several of these wonderful plants - but the same thing happens every year. They are starting to flower at the end of June. So yes, they look lovely now, but won't in August. I'd like to know why too!
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

Cotswold garden flowers website also says the flowering period is Jun-Aug...

Wearside, England.
  • Tray14Tray14 Posts: 210

Just beginning to show red in Midlandsimage

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

No flowers in Wales yet.

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

This is mine, pic taken last week image I'm in Essex btw!