London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 35 messages
26/11/2012 at 16:44

So we purchased a Lawn mower in May and by July it was broken. We now have a very VERY overgrown garden front and back.

Whilst I have no hope of getting into the back and strimming all the lawn with it being waterlogged and flooded, the front is higher up and not so bad but the grass is ridiculously long. Though it is lush, thick and a lovely green.

Can I strim it whilst wet without problems (elec strimmer) or do I have to wait now till warmer and dryer weather? Our front looks unsightly compared to the neoughbours and we don't want to be shunned for being untidy newcomers to the street!  

26/11/2012 at 16:50

If you are not bothered what it looks like afterwards-then do it now-be prepared to get a bit mucky.

Just try not to strim/cut it too short

26/11/2012 at 16:57

I can stand the mess, I just don't want to damage the grass is all and I was concerned it was too wet here in the Midlands.

I will see what the weather is like on the weekend.

Thank you for your fast reply. 

26/11/2012 at 17:58
ThePotsmith wrote (see)

we don't want to be shunned for being untidy newcomers to the street!  

May be a bit late for that  now, if you havent cut it since july  you should be ok but it may look a bit ragged, go easy, the problem with cutting more than a third off at any one time is it shocks the grass, however as the temps are dropping the grass growth will have slowed now, best to put a mower on your xmas wish list.
26/11/2012 at 18:09
Best to strim in stages, keeping it longish. Best done when dry though......the rain will stop! Working on lawn when so wet will make it muddy and look a lot worse. Dont worry about the neighbours but you could mention to them that it is a problem you are aware of. Hope you got your money back on mower
26/11/2012 at 19:02

No I didn't Verdun, it's still sat in the Garage with a broken blade and its £18 for a new blade that was just one of them things "I will get round too" and never actually got around too! 

Perhaps I can strim just a 1/3 off before the frosts next week to try to make it look tidier?

26/11/2012 at 19:09

Got too ask how on earth did you manage to break the blade on a new mower?

26/11/2012 at 19:32
Is it a NEW mower? If so, take it back for refund or replacement. Whatever the reason for the damage you can try talkIng to supplier. Yes, trim one third for now when dry.
26/11/2012 at 19:52

Yes its a new mower from B&Q: We don't know what damaged it, we were mowing the lawn and it made a strange clunk noise and we checked and the blade is sat on the underneath and bent quite badly.

Silly thing is that there were no rocks, sticks, or anything for it to hit. No toys, no bumps in the soil... completely baffling.  I would take it back to B&Q but my nearest depot is quite far away and I am 8months pregnant now so struggle to get behind the wheel of my car! 

26/11/2012 at 22:29
You must take it back..get someone to help you. Ring b&q and say the blade snapped, you are upset and want a replacement. Ask to speak to manager. If you have your receipt there will be no problem? Wish I lived nearer ...I would have done it for you. Must be someone you can ask. You can easily argue blade was faulty material but you will find it easier than you think to get replacement mower, not just blade.
27/11/2012 at 09:45

It was back in May! I have a printed out receipt from emails back and forth complaining about it it's just getting to the nearest store that's a problem.  Unfortunately we are new to the area and do not know anyone here to ask.

The weather is supposed to settle from tomorrow and then a freezing snap coming this weekend so hopefully I can strim on the Saturday before the temperatures get too low.

27/11/2012 at 11:09
I won't keep on with the same ,estate after this but the mower is guaranteed, should not have broken. And they will definitely replace it. How did you get it in the first place? how far is the store? Anyone on this forum living near you? Next spring you will need that mower. It looks good for strimming soon anyway.
27/11/2012 at 11:10
I won't keep on with the same message after this but the mower is guaranteed, should not have broken. And they will definitely replace it. How did you get it in the first place? how far is the store? Anyone on this forum living near you? Next spring you will need that mower. It looks good for strimming soon anyway.
27/11/2012 at 11:18

I went in my car to buy it, but I am 8months pregnant and can't drive at the moment. 

Its about 15 miles away I think, give or take a mile.

27/11/2012 at 13:05

A general note, if you want to cut wet grass, then spray the undersides of a mower with spray with WD40 lubricant. That stops it clogging up and makes it easy to clean afterwards.

27/11/2012 at 17:33
Ok, the pot smith, priorities are pregnancy, so relax. But, you have plenty,of time left on your warranty. Get mower early next year. Remember, not just the blade. You want new MOWER.
27/11/2012 at 17:38

Verdun-I can see where you are coming from with this-but the mower is broken and unless it can be shown to be faulty then unfortunately that is it.

ThePotsmith has other priorities at the moment than fretting over this.

27/11/2012 at 18:45
Nonsense. As I have said, she is entitled to her money back, she will get her money back but all in good time.
27/11/2012 at 18:51

Not if the mower was damaged by something other than normal use-you don't know the circumstances and what caused it

Please don't write "nonsense" in reply to other people's comments either-it is rather rude.

27/11/2012 at 19:12
Sigh!
1 to 20 of 35 messages