Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

artjak

I am a newcomer to cuttings; have used this process pretty successfully to propagate for the flooded gardens appeal. But now I need advice. I want to dig up my massive, but delicious, Lovage to make space for Globe artichokes. I want to plant lovage in a big pot; how can I take cuttings from the existing plant?

Also, lovely tree peony has to go to make way for more veg; can I take cuttings of this, I have heard it takes up to 2 years for seeds to germinate

artjak

Someone surely out there can give me advice? (Desperate from Norfolk)

nutcutlet

Ignorant from Cambridgeshire here artjak

Can lovage root be separated up?

I hope someone come up with an answer to the tree paeony, I have one that doesn't come true from seed. it suckers but I've never kept a sucker alive. A cutting seems to be the answer

artjak

Nut, thank you for replying, I guess when I haul this massive thing out of the ground (Lovage) I can hack off a bit of root. The other prob is the tree peony; any ideas anyone?

Dovefromabove

Hi     I've grown lovage in several gardens - you can split that huge great root vertically and replant - but I'm not sure how it'll take to being in a pot - and I've had lots of self-sown seedlings all over the place.  

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Fresh paeony seed (your own) usually comes in one year for me artjak. Only the bought ones sometimes take 2.

What is happening with the established one?

artjak

Dove, I read recently that they do well in big pots. Any advice for the tree peony? ( Desperate from Norfolk?) I always invite the neighbours round for a drink in the 2 weeks that the peony is in flower as it is so spectacular. I sort of have to have it somewhere in the garden

nutcutlet

You must keep it somehow artjak, Can you grow the veg round it?

artjak

Noooo, I need the space for veg, and the plant is about 10 years old, split at the base and getting a bit big for it's boots (roots?)

A friend....I'm always called upon to do her garden (5 plus acres).....wanted her lovage moved.  It was a massive clump so I simply dug it up, cut it in half and replanted one piece and the other was claimed by someone else.  After 4 years or so iI is again a large clump. However, it was done in the autumn.

I think you can take root divisions even now but I would cut a generous piece from it.  Not sure it is a pot plant though.

Sorry, cannot advise re tree peony.  Not something I grow.

Dovefromabove

I think it would have to be a BIG POT given the size mine have always reached.  I've given up on growing it now as it always outgrows it's spot, no matter how big a spot I give it.  

I've never grown a tree peony, but we have aspirations - Nut gave us some seeds and they're in a pot outside in a quite corner ............................... 

artjak

Verdun and Dove, thank you so much for the advice, yes, it will be a big pot for the lovage. May have to start a separate thread for the tree peony, someone out there must know how to propagate them

Artjak, surely lovage is a herbacious perennial so splitting it should not be a problem. I have split perennials recently and replanted them and they are doing fine. I know autumn is the best time but if you keep it well watered it should settle.

Never had a tree peony but I am buying one. There is something on peonies in the most recent GW mag. Have you tried contacting one of the growers?

artjak

Dave, I don't get GW mag, but good idea to contact a tree peony grower, thank you for that