London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
14 messages
10/05/2014 at 16:50

I am a newcomer to cuttings; have used this process pretty successfully to propagate for the flooded gardens appeal. But now I need advice. I want to dig up my massive, but delicious, Lovage to make space for Globe artichokes. I want to plant lovage in a big pot; how can I take cuttings from the existing plant?

Also, lovely tree peony has to go to make way for more veg; can I take cuttings of this, I have heard it takes up to 2 years for seeds to germinate

10/05/2014 at 18:57

Someone surely out there can give me advice? (Desperate from Norfolk)

10/05/2014 at 19:10

Ignorant from Cambridgeshire here artjak

Can lovage root be separated up?

I hope someone come up with an answer to the tree paeony, I have one that doesn't come true from seed. it suckers but I've never kept a sucker alive. A cutting seems to be the answer

10/05/2014 at 19:19

Nut, thank you for replying, I guess when I haul this massive thing out of the ground (Lovage) I can hack off a bit of root. The other prob is the tree peony; any ideas anyone?

10/05/2014 at 19:24

Hi     I've grown lovage in several gardens - you can split that huge great root vertically and replant - but I'm not sure how it'll take to being in a pot - and I've had lots of self-sown seedlings all over the place.  

10/05/2014 at 19:28

Fresh paeony seed (your own) usually comes in one year for me artjak. Only the bought ones sometimes take 2.

What is happening with the established one?

10/05/2014 at 19:31

Dove, I read recently that they do well in big pots. Any advice for the tree peony? ( Desperate from Norfolk?) I always invite the neighbours round for a drink in the 2 weeks that the peony is in flower as it is so spectacular. I sort of have to have it somewhere in the garden

10/05/2014 at 19:41

You must keep it somehow artjak, Can you grow the veg round it?

10/05/2014 at 19:44

Noooo, I need the space for veg, and the plant is about 10 years old, split at the base and getting a bit big for it's boots (roots?)

10/05/2014 at 19:46

A friend....I'm always called upon to do her garden (5 plus acres).....wanted her lovage moved.  It was a massive clump so I simply dug it up, cut it in half and replanted one piece and the other was claimed by someone else.  After 4 years or so iI is again a large clump. However, it was done in the autumn.

I think you can take root divisions even now but I would cut a generous piece from it.  Not sure it is a pot plant though.

Sorry, cannot advise re tree peony.  Not something I grow.

10/05/2014 at 19:47

I think it would have to be a BIG POT given the size mine have always reached.  I've given up on growing it now as it always outgrows it's spot, no matter how big a spot I give it.  

I've never grown a tree peony, but we have aspirations - Nut gave us some seeds and they're in a pot outside in a quite corner ............................... 

10/05/2014 at 19:56

Verdun and Dove, thank you so much for the advice, yes, it will be a big pot for the lovage. May have to start a separate thread for the tree peony, someone out there must know how to propagate them

10/05/2014 at 20:04

Artjak, surely lovage is a herbacious perennial so splitting it should not be a problem. I have split perennials recently and replanted them and they are doing fine. I know autumn is the best time but if you keep it well watered it should settle.

Never had a tree peony but I am buying one. There is something on peonies in the most recent GW mag. Have you tried contacting one of the growers?

10/05/2014 at 20:54

Dave, I don't get GW mag, but good idea to contact a tree peony grower, thank you for that

email image
14 messages