London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
28/09/2013 at 19:45
We are inundated with crane flies - both inside and outside. Literally scores of them on our windows and white walls. Two years ago rooks ripped up our lawn in Spring, looking for chafer grubs and I'm worried that leather jackets may cause the same problem. Am I right in thinking that an insecticide should be applied now, in the Autumn?
28/09/2013 at 19:50

Far better to apply nematodes as explained here

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=651

28/09/2013 at 19:51

Yes, Berkley, 

Lawn grub killer.  Use it now. You can get it on line from Amazon.  It works. Ideally use in early September but the leatherjackets are a real pest. There are organic ways but ....maybe the anti-chemical brigade will boo hoo this....... lawn grub killer is the solution.  

28/09/2013 at 19:52

Dove......too late for nematodes

28/09/2013 at 20:27

Yes Verdun, they'll have to wait until next year to use them, but they do work 

However Lawn Grub Killer contains Provado and is being withdrawn at the end of this month because of the ban due to concerns that it is killing bees.  See the link I posted.

Selling it after 30th September will be an offence, as will using it after the end of November.

28/09/2013 at 20:28

& too late for the pesticide too unless you're quick - it's being withdrawn from Monday.

28/09/2013 at 20:46

Should have been withdrawn years ago. A few leather jackets will cause less damage than the poison 

28/09/2013 at 21:05
Thank you Verdun and Dovefromabove. If I could avoid insecticides I would - but the damage two years ago was horrific, so I'm on to Amazon. Thanks again
28/09/2013 at 21:17

If you could avoid insecticides you would? Hmmmmm

28/09/2013 at 22:13

I've used lawn grub killer for,past 3 years.  Now have good healthy lawn.  Without it  my lawn was simply eaten to pieces.  My garden is a haven for bees, butterflies,,birds, etc etc.  My healthy lawn is better for the environment than sterile decking or concrete patios.  How many of you spray for ants on that patio?

More damage is done by growers of roses who spray every fortnight using insecticides and fungicides.  More damage is done by using slug pellets. More,damage,is done by air freshener or,hair sprays. More damage is done by the use,of,microwaves.....but I'm,not telling people not to,use them.  More damage is done by using gas, oil etc to heat our homes.  I'm,not telling anyone not to do this.  More damage is done by one person car drivers........think of the pollution......how many of you actually offer regular transport to others to "save the planet".?

There is an awful lot of,hype,and propaganda and hysteria.....with very little proof.  Look, let's all just grow single, environment friendly plants......forget those new doubles and sterile (but majestic ) summer long, non seeding introductions.  Forget wanting to grow a,nice lush lawn because you are deemed (accused) to be destroying the planet.  

those advocating landscape membranes .......to my mind these people are destroying the environment.  They create sterile soils, deny birds accessing food, and look...and are....terrible.  

I,have been growing organic food for years....been looking after my soil and my health for years.  I don't condemn others for using chemical fertilisers....that's their choice.

Lets not force people to act as we think they should do just because some scientists declare their theories are facts.  

We should all be allowed to enjoy our gardens as we see fit.  

29/09/2013 at 04:40

Well said, Verdun. Not to mention the millions flying about in thousands of aeroplanes daily spewing out toxic fumes just under the ozon layer!

29/09/2013 at 09:39
Well put holistic comments Verdun. Very realistic.
There is a lot of pressure sometimes on the forum to do as others do or wish us to do.
It is right to put forward environmental issues but also keep it in perspective. And as you say, to enjoy our garden as we see fit.
I use slug pellets (on occasion)but no insecticides, that's justhow I garden. If my gardening changes and I feel a need to control pests more then I have to say I will be less likely to choose pesticides simply from views and education on the forum. If I had a particular problem I would ask on here and make my own decision, but appreciate all views.
29/09/2013 at 09:44

Exactly Swiss Sue. ,we are constantly bombarded about doing the "right thing" and enough is enough. 

I've just hosed out my  gutters.........is someone going to tell me I'm disturbing the habitat of spiders thereby destroying the natural environment?

Be wary folks.......we will,soon be told we cant buy or grow many plants we currently have.....this is actually being discussed in Europe.   Some of our organic fertilisers are under scrutiny too.  Then there will be a frenzy about these things as well

Lets just encourage us ...as gardeners...to enjoy our gardens and tone down the judgements

29/09/2013 at 09:55
Here here, love the advice or views and experiences (keep that coming), not the judgement.
29/09/2013 at 13:05

We have our lawn treated by a firm. he came the other day and was talking about Daddy long legs - he said there are a great many this year and we need to be vigilant for next year as it means there will be a lot more grubs munching there way through our lawns.

Do they attack decorative grass roots?

29/09/2013 at 13:27

Not sure about ornamental grass roots but if you have a big clump I guess it's possible.  I cannot see, for the life of me, how watering on a grub killer is going to affect the bees.  Most bees I see are flying amongst the flowers.  The lawn grub killer is applied in autumn....the chemical is prob no llonger active come the following spring.     ????

29/09/2013 at 14:01

I put very little on my green patch. I won't call it a lawn, as it has more clover and other lawn weeds than grass. It has had a feed once in 5 years. It has been scarified for too much moss twice in five years. It is however a green patch for lounging on etc.

Much as I admire bowling green lawns, I am too lazy to put in the effort to acquire one.

I do agree with Verdun, in that any  grub killer watered on lawns now, is not going to affect most feeding  bees, unless there is flowering clover at the moment. It could affect solitary bees, and for that reason, as I know there are solitary bees in the lawn soil, I won't be treating mine.

Watching the crane flies laying their eggs was interesting, even if they wouldn't stay still long enough for me to photo.

I spray my lilies at the first sign of lily beetle with a systemic insecticide. It is at least 8 weeks later before they flower. Looking at the amount and variety of bees I have had this year, it does them no harm. Most everything else, I leave to its own devices. Its a hard life in my garden. If they're lucky, they get fed once a year. I water if they start drooping. After that they just get on with it.

29/09/2013 at 15:24

my lawn has bare patches and patches with dead grass,sandy soil.is this cranefly larvae?

29/09/2013 at 15:58

Yes am sure that's the problem.  Sandy soil perfect for leatherjacket larvae.

30/09/2013 at 09:01

The big problem with Provado is that once a plant has been treated with it, any pollen produced by that plant later in the year, or in following years, contains Provado - so avoiding treating when the plant's not in flower just doesn't get around the problem of the bees being affected.

Many of the plants we buy from the GC have already been treated with it. 

1 to 20 of 25 messages