Start a new thread

1 to 19 of 19 replies

Hi.

im hoping someone could shed some light on my daffodils.

Year after Year a large number of Daffodils come up early in the lawn. It’s December now and the foliage is at full height. But no flower buds have appeared. This happens every year. Does anyone know what he best remedy is?

I was going to dig them out and replant next autumn. Is this a good idea or bad?

Hope you can help.

Andy

nutcutlet

bad idea to dig them out and keep them out of the ground til Autumn. The leaves are what feed the bulb until they die back

When have they been mown over the last few years? If they get mown before they die back every year the bulbs will be exhausted

Ok maybe not replace them but at least remove them.

ive only been here for about 3 years and they have always done the same. Every year I don’t them down until they have completely die down and gone brown.

Amongst them there are others that come up in the spring and flower well so I wait until they have all died off before cutting

Pete8

Do some of the daffs flower?
I wonder if the non-flowering daffs are offsets from the main bulb that are immature and not yet ready to flower.

Yes in the spring we do get a lot of flowers but if you can see in the picture I know it’s quite hard to see but that is now and there are a lot that are already up. Is it worth removing them completely and seeing what comes up in the spring?

Advertisement

I think if you cut the foliage off you definitely won't get flowers and you'll probably kill the bulbs. Have a look here for some general advice https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=658

Possibly they are planted too shallow, possibly - being in a lawn - the ground is too compacted around them or the grass is out competing them. It may be better to lift them and move them but not now - wait until the foliage has died back again.

Ok thanks for the advice. The only issue is if they keep there green foliage all the way into the summer when the other daffs have finished flowering then I won’t know which ones are the blind ones.

I’ll have a look around at the info available and see what the best option is. Worst come worst I remove them completely and replant with new bulbs if the display in the spring isn’t great.

Pete8

Why not dig up a square clump of daffs about a spade-width square.
Check how deep the bulbs are - ideally they want to be about 3x the depth of the size of the bulb - so if the bulb is about 2" high ideally they want to be planted at a depth of around 6"
If you find that there are some big bulbs surrounded by smaller bulbs, then the big bulb should flower next year and the smaller bulbs that are the offsets (babies) of the big bulb will flower in a year or two when they have reached flowering age.

Some varieties do not naturalise in grass very well which could be the case with yours or they maybe aren't planted deep enough.  I think if it were me I would give up on them and replant a variety that does well in grass.  It's not too late to plant new bulbs for flowering next spring.  Some varieties that are recommended for naturalising are: Ice Follies, February Gold, Jack Snipe, Jenny, Poeticus recurvus, Tet-e-tete.  There are others of course too.

Iamweedy

They might grow better if they are vertical.

(Sorry about my sense of humour. There are times when I just cannot resist.) 

I am just hoping mine will bloom again .

Am I missing something here ?

'It's December now and the foliage is at full-height'??? Surely they should be dormant and completely underground now .

Last edited: 05 December 2017 19:01:03

nutcutlet

what I'd do with those is mow the grass and forget about them. 

Agree with nutcutlet , they'll probably be 'blind' for many years anyway .

Mike Allen

I find this an interesting thread.  Please bare with me.  Over the past decade I have spent a small fortune on bulbs, not just Daffs but many different and varied species.  I tend to buy in bulk, however my garden is small, but I divide the supply between my two daughters and some friends.  Over time much has taken place within the science of horticulture.  Even for instance, not all that long ago.  A gardener was usually regarded as a member of the labouring class, probably signing his name as X.  Times have changed.  Gardeners now have letters after their names, even fore-titles.

Things have changed also in plant production.  Science has stepped in and now, plants bulbs etc are produced en masse.  From my studies, I find that, and this include my own plantings etc.

A selection of in this case, bulbs are purchased.  They are planted correctly.  In time growth appears and flowers and that's it.  Agreed Daffs are renound for being blind.  Get shot of them.   Rubbish comments about planting correct way up.  Botanically for a plant to produce only foliage, tends to indicate a lack of potash in the soil.  So try adding this at an early stage.  By no means attempting to dampen byour spirits but.  No go.  Here I am prepared to stand corrected by a fellow plant scientist,  I'd love to compare notes with such one.  To conclude.  I am inclined to accept that todays scientific interventions.  Our bulb stocks have become part of this throway system.  Believe me.  I hope I am wrong but.  Can you come up with a better answer.

Thought I'd add my thoughts.... They're tall already and it's only early December!   Have your Snowdrops flowered and done?   Yikes, are they starting to grow but then exhausting themselves perhaps starving in some way and therefore giving up. too dry or not getting enough nutrients etc.   Wrong variety in the wrong place maybe.

Always thought that buying and planting bulbs "In The Green" was the best way to get your spring bulbs, if so then lifting them now and replanting them deeper shouldn't be a problem, so ok they may not flower this year.

In the photo they do look like single bulbs evenly spaced and planted rather than some dense clusters of plants together cramped in with single plants dotted about close by, it all looks un-naturalised somehow.   At the risk of being shot i'll beggar the question: Are they Daffodils?

Can we see a photograph of a bulb dug up, how far did you have to dig before you found the bulb? How big is it? Perhaps a pound or a two pound coin in the photo to get an idea of size.

Advertisement

Did you plant them or were they already there?  Has the previous owner planted "Native British Wild Daffodil" in completely the wrong place?   Where in the world are you and again have your Snowdrops flowered and done already? 

Wow such a great respons. Thanks everybody.

I am still unsure whether to dig them up and discard them, mow them down or leave them all together?

The bulbs in a friends garden so when I am there I will dig some up and see how deeply they are planted. I believe they were planted long before the arrived there. So can not be sure on what type of daff they are unfortunately. 

We are based in Farnham, Surrey. It has been quite mild with only a few hard frosts. It is very strange that they are at full height and I did notice just one flower bud on one of the stems, but this has happened for at least the last 2 years.

A little further down in the lawn there are more daffs that come up fine every year and flower beautifully. So maybe these ones just aren’t planted deep enough.

As for feeding. My Friend strongly believes in gardening the organic way so no feeding has be done as of yet ( a new topic I think as the lawn is more of a moss lawn, based on an acidic sandy soil and not knowing the best solution for the grass)

I will get back to this post once I have dug up some bulbs to see their size and depth but I think unfortunately the best remedy might be to remove them. Probably ruining the grass/moss in the process.

treehugger80

if your friend gardens organically you can use comfrey or nettle juice (diluted) on bulbs and lawns to give them a bit of a kick in spring and early summer