London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 11°C
8 messages
07/04/2013 at 09:04

hi can anyone tell me why my daffs have not flowered this year, planted last year they flowered then.

thanks

07/04/2013 at 09:10

Hi logan. Have they got buds at all? This cold wintry weather has meant a lot of plants are behind this year so they might just be late especially if it's a later flowering variety. They might not have been planted deep enough either. Give them a bit more time and see if anything happens, if not you might need to relocate them. They also need time to die down after flowering to replenish for the next year so if you cut the foliage too soon last year that may have been a problem. 

07/04/2013 at 09:58

Some varieties are worse than others for going blind. I have one called Sweetness, lovely scent but went blind in 2 years while all those around it carried on flowering

07/04/2013 at 10:03

The only daff I have flowering at the moment is Tete-a-Tete. Eveything else just a bunch of green leaves. Some have buds, but others haven't. I'm pretty sure the weather is to blame. Keeping my fingers crossed that the buds will arrive eventually

07/04/2013 at 10:04

Forgot to mention that if they don't flower at all they could need splitting. If they become congested it will impede the flowering

07/04/2013 at 10:45

My daffodils haven't flowered well either but I'm pretty sure this was because of the weather. It helps if you deadhead them and sprinkle some fertiliser around them as soon as they have (or should have!) flowered. Leave the leaves on for at least 6 weeks. They need them for making food. If it's very dry after they've flowered this can affect flowering the following year.

07/04/2013 at 11:22

Most of mine have buds but are very slow to open. Think the cold weather has slowed them down

17/04/2013 at 16:48

New bulbs for this year, some are flowering at last but a lot do not have any buds at all! Do I leave them and hope they will flower next year, or dig them up and start afresh?

email image
8 messages