London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
21/08/2012 at 11:16
Veronica3, I trap these blighted with yoghurt pots stuffed with tissue upended on canes amongst dahlias. Seems to work. Yesterday I went to a place where they hold the national dahlia collection. Only 7 miles or so away so added to my own collection. They are not my fav plants but some are lovely
21/08/2012 at 11:17
Should have said blighters not blighted
28/08/2012 at 16:38

christopher 2.  Thanks christopher will get some tissue paper and do what you said.  Although I think I've had it for this year with my dahlias but I certainly will be well prepared for next year.  Thank you for all your help.  Lucky you going to the national dahlia collection.

28/08/2012 at 16:48

Veronica you can use ripped up old newspaper stuffed in to a spare upturned pot, put it out at night and move the contents in the morning. Earwigs eat other pests in the garden so whilst they are annoying in terms of growing Dahlias they are useful elsewhere.

A tip on GW last friday night was that buds that appear pointed have already flowered whilst buds that are round are new flowers coming. If you deadhead (by removing the flower stems and spent buds) you might still get some flowers this year.

28/08/2012 at 23:51
Veronica3 , can you grow them this year just to build up the tubers for next year? Of you are ok with chemicals you can spray with systemic insecticide but I find if they are growing well they can resist earwigs. I grow quite a number without probs. a new variety that I love is honka.....different. It is a simple single yellow and catches everyone's eye. Check it out and I'd hazard a guess you won't be bothered with earwigs on it
email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages