London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
17 messages
16/05/2013 at 19:38

i know other peaple have the same problem but how do i stop cats from diging up my plants 

16/05/2013 at 19:47

Spread teabags soaked in Jeyes Fluid!

16/05/2013 at 20:47

Catapult

16/05/2013 at 21:12
Joe_the_Gardener wrote (see)

Catapult

17/05/2013 at 07:34

Water pistol (our local garden centre sells pump action ones).

17/05/2013 at 07:38

Water pistol really works as does the garden hose on jet if I,m near enough.

17/05/2013 at 08:09

A water scarecrow. Moveable,will make a noise and spray water 24/7 you just need an outside tap. Adjustable so you don't get the birds. Get the Contech one not cheaper ones as the reviews all say they are inferior. Have a look on amazon - expensive but by the the time you consider replacing plants, trying all the alternatives etc - lion poo, orange peel etc and failing, invaluable. I have had mine for years, it has stopped foxes pooing on the patio, protected bulbs, seedlings and newly planted plants.

17/05/2013 at 09:02

Thanks to all will try the tea bags and jeyes fluid sounds good 

17/05/2013 at 09:17

Please don't use Jeyes fluid around cats, its extremely toxic to them. I know they can be a nuisance but killing someone's pet is a bit extreme. Waterpistols work well or you could try sprinkling pepper or chilli powder around your plants.

17/05/2013 at 10:16

We have had problems with local cats. The things we have tried - sonic - only works for a few days - till they know what it is and what it does - waste of money if you ask me. Next we tried the smelly sticks, doesn't work at all. To cut a long story short - we have tried alot of things - waste of money, (gels, cat away etc). The only thing that seems to work is pepper. We now have pepper in an old tea bag - put at various locations around the garden, (we found that grinding it yourself (with a hammer and hard surface) lasts the longest).

Rather than hurt actual real life cats - I recommend taking your revenge out using this game http://www.arcadetown.com/catapult/playgame.asp - it's called catapult.

(When it loads - just select high or low resolution - then using your mouse left button - hold it down to increase the power of the throw - try to get the cats in the holes or fill the hooks with cats for a bonus).

Failing that buy a dog and train it. Good Luck with the cats.

17/05/2013 at 11:09

The best way of deterring cats from your garden is to get a cat of your own.  Cats are very territorial and will fight off any intruders.  Training your own cat not to dig up your plants is another story ...

17/05/2013 at 12:07
Lyndsey M wrote (see)

Please don't use Jeyes fluid around cats, its extremely toxic to them. I know they can be a nuisance but killing someone's pet is a bit extreme. Waterpistols work well or you could try sprinkling pepper or chilli powder around your plants.

Cats will not touch anything with Jeyes Fluid on it, they keep well away. You can ask my two!

17/05/2013 at 13:29

I have decided that nothing works!!  It's not the neighbours cats that are a problem it is my own! I have tried everything - I recently tried teabags with muscle ache spray as someone told me this works.  It doesn't.  My two cats just dig up the teabags and move them out of the way.  Also tried the sprinkler. One of my cats now just has a poo on the utility floor and the other just plays chicken with it, waiting for it to move in the other direction and then shooting in the veg patch to do his business.  If he mis-times it he just sits there and finishes what he's doing, has a good shake (a bit like a dog) and then strolls off as though nothing has happened.  My daughter reminded me that when he was a kitten he used to get in the bath with her!  They are now both 16 now so I guess the only thing to do is wait....

17/05/2013 at 14:07

Do not waste your time on fluids, 'anti cat plants' and other crap people keep spewing.

There are 2 ways to stop cats digging (which is hiding their poo):

1. Have plants! Ie do not have areas of bare ground/earth.

2. If you do have areas of bare ground (waiting for bulbs/perennials etc) then put lots of bamboo sticks around to physically stop them getting there. Remove sticks as the plants grow.

Easy and cost free.

17/05/2013 at 14:11
Hi Red John,i have been on this site for a long time with cat problems,long story short ,, over ??500 now spent on fences and deterants,the one that works IS Jeyes fluid ready to use one or dilute yourself they do work Wilcos is so far cheapest also sprayed t bags just under the soil also works, i personaly simply spray on the soil in over 3/4 months or more now NO cats have returned until yesterday when i planted something and forgot to spray around it ,jeyes will kill weeds or plants so you have to not spray too close to your plants, it took about a week to kick in and then i sprayed once a month or even less, But it does work ,
17/05/2013 at 15:33

I said a lot of people have trouble with cats i will still try the jeyes thanks to every one 

17/05/2013 at 16:42
red john wrote (see)

I said a lot of people have trouble with cats i will still try the jeyes thanks to every one 

What is the point when it will wash away after the first rain? Use sticks to form a barrier...it is theonly way. You are wasting time and money on any fluid.

email image
17 messages