(I'm not sure if this is the right forum topic for this - moderators, please move if need be, thanks).
My friend's two young cats had to be put down on Sunday as they were poisoned by antifreeze. The vet said that it may have been due to a spillage as someone topped up their car for the winter but it could also have been from people adding antifreeze to their garden water features.
It's been reported on a local blog site here: http://b31.org.uk/2012/09/warning-as-northfield-cats-die-from-antifreeze-poisoning/ The article also includes some helpful advice from the RSPCA and a link to a petition requesting manufacturers to add bitterants to their products.
It seems that the issue with antifreeze is not very well known - apparently it actually smells/tastes attractive to cats and other animals.
I've since been told that adding cider vinegar to water features also helps keep them running through the winter and is safe for pets, should they come into contact with it.
If anyone has any other alternatives for keeping water features etc. from freezing over winter, please do add them here.
And please do spread the word about the dangers of antifreeze to pets/wildlife.