Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Daphne Odora Aureomarginata leaf drop

I have a Daphne Odora which produces flowers at this time of year, but does not seem to hold on to its leaves.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please?

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

is the problem with the old leaves or the new. if the spring leaves are falling could be a water problem-in my experience that daphne likes being pretty dry.

• For the last 2 years, the leaves fell off before the Spring flowers formed. The Daphne is in the ground protected from the wind, but just does not seem to be flourishing.  It gets early morning sunshine, but the flowers also lack fragrance!

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

davids10, I am surprised you say Daphnes like to be dry, as in my experience they seem to prefer to be in a moist, humus rich soil.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • davids10davids10 Posts: 894

i can only speak from my own experience. here in reno-very dry indeed- i water mine twice a year-once in the spring and once in the late summer. that is the only daphne i have but it's ten ft. across and 4ft. high. it really is remarkable how adaptable most plants are.

• Thank you for all your replies.  I think that I will leave it and see what happens, but may need to buy a new Daphne and plant it in a different part of the garden at some stage.