Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dead fir

We have this fir in our garden. It has been gradually dying over the past year and we are now at the point where we will need to chop it down. It is draining the nutrients out of the soil. The roots are quite solid in the ground and to make matters worse there are some iris next to it so the soil is root bound from both. If we trim or chop it right back to a said height is it likely to recover? We have a problem with caterpillars eating a small hedging in the garden and have pruned that back and it is growing again. Just an idea anyway before we go hell for leather chopping it down. Shame as it creates some good privacy!

• emma louemma lou Posts: 170

imageSorry...forgot to add photo!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

The only conifer you can cut back to any extent is yew emma. I'd take it out it's dead.

Yes thought as much. I am not sure we will get the roots out though. Especially with the iris' nearby. If we chopped it back and used it as a bird table would we get problems with offshoots? Thanks.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It wouldn't regrow from the roots. Irises can be moved, they benefit from a split up and replant occasionally. 

In the sticks near Peterborough

Oh Ok, do they replant OK? I know they are sods to dig up.

Last edited: 29 May 2016 05:38:32