Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

dead tree fungi

Hi all, and a Happy New Year to everyone.

I have a dead flowering cherry tree in my garden, which I have fixed a trellis to for growing climbing roses on.  The tree is now covered in fungi which I gather is breaking down the tree, does anyone know if these fungi are likely to spread to other plants surrounding the tree?  Your help would be much appreciated, thank you.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

There are hundreds of types of fungi.

The large majority are beneficial. Some break down dead wood. Others live in close relationships with other living plants, and actually help to nourish the plants they live with.

There are a very small number of fungi that are harmful, and can kill living trees. The best known fungus of this type is honey fungus. But that's only one fungus among hundreds.

You ought to verify that the fungus you have is not honey fungus. And provided that it is not, then just leave it alone.

If you were to post a photo, we might be able to say what type of fungus yours is.

• I had a willow tree some years ago which I chopped down, the remains are still in the garden,it did for awhile have a fungus ,(flat type)but it did not spread elsewhere,but beware of the honey fungus.image

• Dave, as Lyon said, can you post a picture of the fungus?  If it's actually growing out of the trunk, that's good news as the dreaded Honey Fungus usually only appears on the ground, near affected trees and shrubs.  It looks like a normal mushroom but has a yellowy-brown (well, honey coloured!) cap and usually appears in small groups.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Dave17Dave17 Posts: 2

Hello again and thank you all for your responses. These are the pictures of the fungi, I look forward to your comments and opinions. Regards, Dave Laker.

• ThaiGerThaiGer Posts: 165

tree fungi ,please look here for the first, maybe can help you, i have no experiences with fungis on a tree...

best luck, ThaiGer

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

There seem to be at least two species there. None of them are honey fungus.

As BobTheGardener said, honey fungus come up from the soil, around the base of a tree. Also, honey fungus normally only produce their above ground heads around November time. You wouldn't normally see honey fungus at this time of year.

Your fungi are what would be called bracket fungi.

There aren't that many bracket fungi that are rusty red, although I don't know exactly which one that is. There are several bracket fungi which are grey/brown with white edges. Many fungi are associated with particular species of trees. Presumably yours are species that prefer dead trees of the prunus family.

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,496

I dont know if thats honey fungus. But be careful if you have a dead Cherry tree as they are prone to Honey fungus.

I had a lovely old cherry tree but I suspected it had HF as the privet hedge next to it was dying off gradually each year. I didnt want to lose my hedge do I dug out the tree along with the dying hedge and replaced the soil, and planted new hedging.

The traditional product for killing off HF is no longer sold as such, but it has now ben relabled and sold as patio cleaner. Think it was called Armillatox, though Jayes Fluid is supposed to treat it as well.

• Hi Dave,

I agree, those are bracket fungi of some kind and will not affect any surrounding plants.  Personally, I enjoy seeing fungi growing like that and find them fascinating.  Apart from wood-boring beetle larvae, fungi are the primary way wood is naturally broken down and returned to the soil.  The bracket fungi will eventually make the wood become very weak, so if any of the dead branches are above head height, I'd recommend you cut them off now in case they fall on someone. As LeadFarmer said though, it is always risky leaving dead tree stumps in the ground as they can become a base for a Honey Fungus infection, although I'm 100% certain that's not what you are seeing at this point.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • hi I just moved in April this year....i have old mouldy tree stump and it looks like roots  it's now coming up on my lawn I have a dog and worried  bout her 

• I have three Cherry trees which were badly pruned before I moved in. As a result most of the tree branches are dead and have broken away.

However there continues to be some small new branches growing that did produce a small number of cherries (the crows got them before I did) but I have noticed bracket fungi growing half way up the main trunk.

Is it a total waste of time to cut back the dead wood and hope the new branches grow or should I take them down completely?