Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dicentra

I have my dicentra in shade , it was a new plant last year and just seems to struggle where it is , as I have heavy clay I am wondering if that is the problem , the shade or possibly the wind we get near it ? Any thoughts ? Leave , move it , help it ..... image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Which dicentra Bunny?. Most of them like a bit of shade. Might be the heavy clay though

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471

The bleeding heart one . image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They have very soft fleshy roots, maybe the clay is a bit hard going. I don't do all that well with these, my soil isn't exactly clay but it's stiff. The smaller dicentras do much better.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I've had a dicentra for years in a pot in fairly deep shade and it grows ok, it is in compost.

Right, I took cutting as thought lost it last yr , cutting doing better than plant . Must be the heavy clay where it is . I shall await a slightly warmer day brrrrr out there today and move to a pot . Thank you . image
  • Bunny, it,s sounds like ya soil to me, I'd dig it up and stick it in a pot till you can inprove the soil.

Here's one I dug out of my late Parents garden,(besides a few other things) image

I bunged it in a pot and it flowered it's socks off last year. image

That's the one dean . My mum has same one and does great in hers now I think about it....not clay soil. It's by pond and a wall so tricky area . A plan is in place for some nurturing and a new home further over image
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I have a dicentra in shade in clay but before planting it some years ago I dug in loads of compost and manure and it's thriving. Can you dig it up and improve the soil and replant?

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
    It's such a funny place Liz , retaining wall with field drain after it , fence, wind up 'back passage' shade ...image
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Oh no, shock horror, not another back passage!!!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.