Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Did I do right?

I planted my Quince trees today, first one was the Japanese Quince. When I removed it from its pot, I could see hundreds of yellow eggs and maggot looking creatures around the roots. I removed most of the soil from the roots and used a hose pipe to wash them so that the eggs and maggots cleared off. Planted the Vranja and noticed the same thing, took nearly an hour to get rid this time though as the roots were so tightly packed. Did I do good or are these creatures part of Quince life?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

If it came with eggs and maggots send it back

Were the maggots  moving?

Slow release fertilizer pellets have been mistaken for eggs before nowimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Maggots were crawling. They were fat and very white, not the sort you find on dead animals. Also the eggs were full of liquid when squashed and different sizes
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Ugh. I think you should be in contact with the place that sold them. Damage may have been done to the roots

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

The dreaded vine weevil?

I would have taken them back as well, and i would think twice a

bout using that place again.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• It's from a big firm so I don't think its a deliberate act. I've emailed them to let them know though. The roots look fine so hopefully I've caught it just in time.
  • It's planted in a huge planter, there was nothing but bare roots after I had washed the soil and creepy crawlies out. The weevils are all extremely flat now too. The other bush only had the eggs and that came from a different supplier. I say eggs, but as both plants from different suppliers had them, could it be slow release fertiliser after all??
  • I took a look on eBay at slow release fertiliser and the pics are exactly the same as I had with the Quince so I'm sure now that's it's not eggs. The maggots had no brown on them at all either, just white all over and fat