London (change)
Today 9°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 8°C
5 messages
18/11/2012 at 11:16

hello,I have a problem with moss on a stone wall,the moss has started to be covered in a jelly like substance that is killing it.Can anybody help identify the problem and offer a solutionto stop it from spreading? Joy.

18/11/2012 at 12:12

It is a function of the wet weather.  It will disappear when we get lots of sunshine and dry weather.

29/11/2012 at 16:49

When will that be then  ?!!

26/09/2015 at 18:29

Okay, it's three years later, but if this thread is still alive, I'd like to know, if anyone knows - there's nothing illuminating at all on Google about diseases in moss, usually it is moss that is referred to as the disease... and how to kill it!

Here in west Wales I've been encouraging the rather unsightly risers of a flight of old concrete steps in my garden to moss-over as an alternative to painting or tiling, neither of which seemed very practical.

Until this summer it was going well, but in July circular greyish-brown patches about five inches in diameter began to appear in the green, that were not the usual browning-off you get in dry weather. The moss has turned to powder and not recovered with the rain. The areas around have remained unaffected, which is why I suspect a disease rather than drought.

It's not terribly helpful as I'm trying to sell the house... Any ideas?

26/09/2015 at 20:03

Hi P Ingrams - you might find the following an interesting bit to read but I'm afraid it doesn't give any insight to any remedies .............. (you'll need to copy and paste it into your browser)

Distribution and Ecology of the Fungal Pathogen of Dicranum fulvum 

email image
5 messages