London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
9 messages
05/05/2013 at 20:24
after starting my first year of gardening and getting into it,(by the way anyone who knew about my hanging baskets thanks for your help they are coming on great now, just started to flower ???) well!! We are now to move house!!!! Luckily only a few streets away, just more bedrooms, now my actual question is I have 2 conifers both around 7-8 feet tall and the misses has had them for 13 years and has decided she wants to take them with her (they have sentimental value to her) is it possible to dig theses up and replant them? If it is how big of a job is it? And well where do I start? What do I do to make sure they do not die? Thanks guys for your help
Lyn
05/05/2013 at 21:50

I think they will die, they are to old to transplant, IMO.

05/05/2013 at 21:53

I think you're right Lyn. The roots must be pretty extensive by now.

05/05/2013 at 22:04

You would have to dig a really big root ball which would weigh a ton, literally. This would have to be a machine/digger job and impossible to do by hand/elbow grease. Anything smaller would be too small to survive as stated above. Go out and treat your wife to 2 new trees of her choice to which she can transfer her affection.

05/05/2013 at 22:12
Thanks guys for all your comments I did think this myself but without other people telling her she would never believe me lol
05/05/2013 at 22:14
Now she has just asked can she take the daffodils!!!! (never happy lol!!!) Should I start a new thread???????
06/05/2013 at 00:01

Ha ha niviac, at least  the daffodils will be easier to lift.  I regularly lift daffs and pot up for the summer

Re those conifers, you dont say what varieties they are.  I do transplant quite large conifers but plant immediately.  To dig up and transport them too is too much for them

06/05/2013 at 09:18

Daffies are easy!  Leave them in place as long as possible so they get maximum chance for the leaves to feed the bulbs this season (give them a feed with liquid fertiliser if you want to be really kind).  Then just before you move, dig them up, ideally with some soil around them, and plant them again as soon as you can in their new home.  If you can do it quickly then they probably won't even notice they've moved.

Say a fond farewell to the conifers - you really will only kill them if you try to move them.

07/05/2013 at 18:06

I would advise your wife that it's better to leave a live conifer in it's original location, albeit not yours, than  to be responsible for it's possible death. That would be the worst of all worlds.

email image
9 messages