London (change)
Today 13°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
10 messages
13/03/2013 at 21:11

Has anyone else noticed a problem this year with declining numbers of daffs appearing where they are naturalised or semi-naturalised in grass.  I have a meadow which suffered badly in the wet summer last year, which was then followed by a very damp winter, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's had a lasting impact on the daffs.  In some areas none have come up where there have always been some over the last seven years.  Or am I just being impatient?  Often the tips are visible by January, and the first ones are out by now!

13/03/2013 at 21:19

So far here, I think we are going to get a better show of naturalised daffs on roadsides/hedges/banks that we did last year. You may be right though, last year the daffs didn't do at all well, it might take them a couple of years to recover.

All my spring bulbs are later this year than last

13/03/2013 at 21:40

Yes - even some of my snowdrops have only just come out now, only to be flattened by ice and snow!

13/03/2013 at 22:33

Most of my daffs are fine but where the ground was under water for weeks they haven't appeared at all. 

13/03/2013 at 22:39

That's the same problem I have.  The ones in the garden which is well drained are fine but not a sign of them in the areas which were waterlogged for so long.

13/03/2013 at 22:42

I'm not really surprised. I'm hoping the snakeshead fritillaries in the same area will appear soon. It's more their habitat. 

14/03/2013 at 11:01

Good luck with the fritillaries - mine have started to show in most of the usual places. Some compensation!

14/03/2013 at 22:11

I regularly drive past a college/university which has loads of daffs in the grass at the front of the college/university in March/April, this year is no exception all the leaves are appearing...but....they are planted on a hill so presumably it's well drained.

14/03/2013 at 22:51
The ones in verges appear same around here amongst the grass ..they're always late , one end of road starts first ....eventually works way along . Currently up but tight buds .
15/03/2013 at 07:54
The wild lent lily daffs which grow along the banks of the local streams and rivers here are all flowering well, and they've been underwater for a lot of the time. I wonder if garden varieties are less resilient?
email image
10 messages