4 messages
19/07/2013 at 14:55

I was given a Cala lily in June but it now seems to be going to mush at soil level. Am I doing something wrong when watering it? or does it just die off like this to come back next year? 

19/07/2013 at 15:50

Hello Amy, Do you mean a Canna lily?  I cannot find any reference to a Cala lily in my books. Is this lily in a pot?  It sounds like the bulb has gone rotten. Have a look at it. You may find vine weevils are the culprit or the lily beetle lavae. The vine weevil grubs eat the roots and the lily beetle grubs eat the foliage, flowers and seed pods. If the bulb is massively overwatered I suppose it would go soggy. I hope you find an answer to this problem!

19/07/2013 at 16:42

I think its a Calla lily or zantedeschia.

If its gone to mush it sounds like it has rotted and died.

They will normally tolerate pretty wet conditions, I has a big white one for years in the boggy bit at the side of the pond. The hard frost killed it in the end.

19/07/2013 at 17:25

Oh that's a shame! we got it for our anniversary as we had calla lilies as our wedding flowers. 

email image
4 messages