Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Does this look like excess nitrogen?

Hi Guys,

My flowering currant looks like it is dying. I thought I had damaged a branch but 3 have died back now and there is some yellowing on the good leaves.

I was wondering if this could be excess nitrogen as it is next to my chicken pen and I sometimes swill the nearby step into the area.

This has only started in the last fortnight.

The soil is quite dry around it and I've put 3 watering cans on in the last few days.

Cheers

Vic

Wearside, England.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Looks more like simple drought to me but dry soil and excess nitrogen wouldn't have helped!  It looks like it's new growth from the base which has died - the plant may have done that itself to prevent further water loss.  If the affected growth doesn't recover now you have given it a good drink, cut it (only the dead growth) right back to the ground just in case it is (or becomes) diseased.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

Ok, cheers Bob.image

I hadn't been watering it because I don't generally water shrubs but clearly I shouldimage I'll chop the dead bits off and pay more attention to it in future.

Wearside, England.

You can often get away with not watering shrubs as many send down deep roots but currants do tend to need a lot of water.  It's also close to the wall, so best to water it regularly as walls create a "rain shadow" and also tend to suck water out of the ground near them.  I'm sure it will recover now you are giving it a bit of tlc. image

Cool. Thanks Bob, much appreciatedimage

Wearside, England.

Hi Buddyboy, there are marks on the lower branches and stem although not exactly like the images on google.

Would the coral spot have to be quite bad to cause the branch die back? 

Re the mulch I have wood shavings and chopped hemp if they would be suitable, although I could just stop swilling in that direction.

Wearside, England.

Cheers Buddyboyimage

I'm going to prune all the dead/dying stuff out tomoz and I've watered it a lot already. I'll give it a chance but if it's going to be a pain long term I think I'll get rid. 

Wearside, England.
  • That's interesting Buddyboy, thank you for thatimage

I wonder how the nitrogen takes the water away. I assume a chemical reaction, if that is the right phrase.

I was reading up on it myself and found that copious watering would dilute the nitrogen too. I've watered it a lot and fortunately it is now raining sufficiently to wet the earth  around the plant. I've cut the dead branches out as they showed no signs of recovery so although they were still green inside I suspect the damage had been done. The rest of the plant doesn't look any worse albeit much thinner.

Cheersimage

Vic

Wearside, England.
  • *Sigh*

Thanks for you help with this guys but the remaining bits began to wilt two days ago. I gave it 12 litres of water, yesterday and last night it chucked it down heavily and it still hasn't perked up. The ground is wet around it and not just superficially.

I'm going to chop it to the ground- if it comes back it comes back. I think there must be something wrong with it - nothing needs that much water if it hasn't been moved.image

Wearside, England.

Oh well, you tried your best!  Maybe it did get a disease.  Sometimes plants just die for seemingly no good reason. image

• I'll put a test plant in the area, Bob, to see if the soil is reasonable. Just to be on the safe sideimage

Wearside, England.