London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
9 messages
19/10/2012 at 09:54

Each day I find dog mess either at the front of my garden on the footpath or on the lawn or in the soil itself. Can anything be done about it? I never see the dog(s).

19/10/2012 at 10:05

If you are sure that dogs are the problem, have a look at the sonic cat scarers available in larger garden centres. They usually have a setting that works against dogs as well.

19/10/2012 at 10:16

Dogs are a creature of habit but dog fouling is not only offensive but also the owner is committing an offence

It may be tedious but you need to identify the culprit and trace that back to the owner-a bit of vigilance is required-if it persists contact the local dog warden who can offer some advice-I would be reluctant to start buying scarers at this stage

But then again it maybe cats

19/10/2012 at 12:10

i agree with sotongeoff sometimes its the irresponsible owners that dont care where there animal does a pooh as long as its not in there garden usually they take there dog out in the dark so no one can see them,it makes me so mad. these people are the lowest of the low, so unless you catch the culpret,keep a shovel handy

19/10/2012 at 12:21

If the garden is unattended during the day there's not a lot can be done except to close access to the garden.  If that's not an option, Alina's suggestion of a sonic deterent is sound advice as uncaring owners and unattended dogs have no-one to stop them entering your garden and pooing where they please.

We always pick up our dogs' mess in town and on country paths but not all owners do that.

19/10/2012 at 15:38

i have just had to spend £60 for chicken wire to fasten into my hedges to stop all this mess happening to us literally 5 mins ago i chased a cat off,my back garden,I'm hoping the wire will do the back garden trick but i  cant do the front its too open,and the cats live very very close to us,, neighbours who d av em

19/10/2012 at 15:46

Cats can be deterred by a water scarecrow.  Google for info and suppliers.  

I expect one would work in a front garden too - except for water dogs like Labradors - and postmen, milkmen and paper boys wouldn't be too happy.

19/10/2012 at 16:06

You can buy anti-dog products in garden centres to sprinkle on the ground, I haven't found them reliable but it's better than nothing.

19/10/2012 at 16:18

and while we speak the big black and whit one has actually just done it again on brand new turf and i was told they don't do it on just grass OH yes they do now,that chicken wires going up ASAP its just so annoying and all the repellents so far a waste of money

email image
9 messages