Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

dog proofing a leylandii hedge

We have new neighbours who are keen to dog-proof their garden. We do not want to lose our hedge and they cannot afford to re-fence. There are small gaps at the bottom of the hedge and I was wondering if chicken wire could be used to fill the gaps. Any suggestions? We are all racking our brains on this one.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I wouild put up posts and then use good quality chicken wire or chain link all along their side of your hedge.  Height and guage of the wire dependent on the size and determination of the dogs. 

Then fix gravel boards along the bottom of the wire to prevent digging under the wire - even the sweetest little pooch loves to tunnel!

This http://www.newatlanticonline.co.uk/products/gates-and-fencing/wire-fencing/ is a good website for posts and wire etc, so that you can get an idea of costs.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I have a friend who's just acquired two small dogs and I suggested the same thing to her for along the foot of her fence where she has some gaps. Making sure the bottom is well secured is important, as Dove says.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Next door had to chain link fence their side of the beech hedge. This kept in dalmatian and great danes, but for a jack russell it had to be buried six inches and stapled to a log. 

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

We used to have that problem with alot of cats, so we chickenwired the bottom of both hedges and pinned into the ground and it worked.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    It is your neighbour's responsibility to fence in their own animals. All the expense of the fence should fall on them. They cannot ask you to sacrifice your hedge. If a fence is required they must put it on their land/garden.