London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
07/01/2013 at 11:30

Hi there,

This year will be my third year running trying this - and I'd love not to fail again. In a GW video it looks so simple, just stick them in the ground the right way up and hey presto.

I've put my 12" cuttings in both pots, and in the raised veg bed with no success. I get a few green shoots but these seem to get destroyed by the frost. This year I am planning to stick them in my unheated greenhouse to see if that helps.

Any tips on when and how to do this greatly appreciated 

07/01/2013 at 12:19

If these are the coloured stemmed dogwoods I'd go for layering, then you don't have to water though the summer or do anything much else. Just pin a long stem down onto some loosened soil and it will root. I'm gradually spreading them over a bank by this method. Pin down and forget.

07/01/2013 at 12:24

Yes - this is the one with the red stems.

07/01/2013 at 12:30

Worth trying the layering and some cuttings as well. All my hardwood cuttings are outside in pots at the moment with a view to bringing them into a cold greenhouse if the weather gets REALLY cold.

But I'm no cuttings expert, I took instruction from this forum a few months ago and await results. If someone else tells you different I'd believe them. 

07/01/2013 at 12:46

I'd certainly try the layering as they are very inclined to spread this way naturally.

When you do the stem cut back, later this Spring, then I'd also use some of those bits as cutting material as well. So 2X the chance of success.

BTW I use the longer stems of mine as a woven support around a peony & some taller herbaceous plants. Spotted this at a NTrust garden last yr, tried it & it worked a treat! J.

07/01/2013 at 12:56

How long does the redness last when they're cut jo? I hadn't thought of using it for anything longer lasting than a Crims decoration.

07/01/2013 at 13:03
Usually dogwood cuttings roof very easily. I never have any problems. However,, I think covering with fleece may be a solution. The cuttings need to be kept moist during the summer though. I agree about layering. I prefer to put cuttings in pots rather than into open ground though. Sometimes, if you look around your established shrub, you will see that it already has layered itself and then you can cut down with a spade and dig it up. I did this only last spring and have a new young dogwood in the garden with stems about 4' high.
07/01/2013 at 13:09

The colour just fades gradually Nutcutlet. Although I cant say for definite as never thought about it.

I always intended to do something with the prunings every yr, but never did- bar chopping & adding to compost bin. Because they're quite slim & flexible they are pretty easy to make a structure. I also use some of them as 'hoop' supports around potentially flopping hardy geraniums.

BTW none of these stems did root, but agree with Verdun about checking around your shrub to see if it's already done the job for you. J.

07/01/2013 at 13:19
I know chap who uses dogwood and willow to make baskets etc. I think the colour is very durable. I have one such garden trug that has yellow, green and red stems and must be 15 years old.
07/01/2013 at 13:32

A few years ago I put my cuttings in a bucket of water until I got around to planting them and completely forgot all about them.  Next time I went to look for a bucket I found them looking happy and healthy complete with roots.

07/01/2013 at 14:58

Mine are indoors in plastic cups starting to get leaves, moved to a bit cooler area so roots might appear, not done cutting before of dogwood normal red type - I do like the midwinter fire one nice yellow, red and orange  - nice in winter when no leaves.

When was it you took the cuttings Caz W I would like to try that way.

07/01/2013 at 15:10

One of mine might be Midwinter fire. It's got that horizontal style of growththat some cornus get. I should think if I cut it back it would make the straight ones. It's quite attractive the only downside being that it catches the dead leaves from the ash overhead. If it gets any bigger I won't reach to get them out. It's made some layerings for me, 2 or 3 of them, need removing this year.

07/01/2013 at 15:13

Gardengirl - it was around March when I was giving the dogwoods their annual chop back!

07/01/2013 at 16:28

Thanks Caz W how much of a annual chop back do you give it? I have only cut mine back a little for cuttings. Will try doing cuttings in a bucket of water like the sound of that way - going about cuttings.

Nutcutlet I guess if you cut the dogwood it would make a straight plant, My dogwood near a fence so only collects it own leaves really.

07/01/2013 at 18:22

when  its spring,i cut back the dog wood and use the sticks for supporting other plants,they tend to root and you will have lots off new plants.

07/01/2013 at 19:22
07/01/2013 at 21:08
Gardengirl, I grow several varieties of dogwood ....those grown for their coloured wood ......and cut back to the ground every year. Then I feed and stand back. Keep well watered, if possible. You should get 6' straight coloured stems by the following autumn. You won't get the coloured wood from simply taking cuttings ....the harder you cut the more vigorous the resulting growth.
07/01/2013 at 21:16

Looks like my stakes are sorted out for next year. I'll make them decorative as jo4eyes does.Don't stake much so I should have enough. I'll probaly leave Midwinter fire as a little tree and take its layerings to be grown and cut back yearly.

07/01/2013 at 21:46

Thanks Caz W for the link and thanks verdun for the info.

I guess then the new growth with be the brightest colour then

07/01/2013 at 21:53
Yep. The best colour is from the new wood
1 to 20 of 21 messages