Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Dogwood Cuttings

Hi there,

This year will be my third year running trying this - and I'd love not to fail again. In a GW video it looks so simple, just stick them in the ground the right way up and hey presto.

I've put my 12" cuttings in both pots, and in the raised veg bed with no success. I get a few green shoots but these seem to get destroyed by the frost. This year I am planning to stick them in my unheated greenhouse to see if that helps.

Any tips on when and how to do this greatly appreciated 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

If these are the coloured stemmed dogwoods I'd go for layering, then you don't have to water though the summer or do anything much else. Just pin a long stem down onto some loosened soil and it will root. I'm gradually spreading them over a bank by this method. Pin down and forget.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Jammy2Jammy2 Posts: 30

Yes - this is the one with the red stems.

Worth trying the layering and some cuttings as well. All my hardwood cuttings are outside in pots at the moment with a view to bringing them into a cold greenhouse if the weather gets REALLY cold.

But I'm no cuttings expert, I took instruction from this forum a few months ago and await results. If someone else tells you different I'd believe them. 

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

I'd certainly try the layering as they are very inclined to spread this way naturally.

When you do the stem cut back, later this Spring, then I'd also use some of those bits as cutting material as well. So 2X the chance of success.

BTW I use the longer stems of mine as a woven support around a peony & some taller herbaceous plants. Spotted this at a NTrust garden last yr, tried it & it worked a treat! J.

How long does the redness last when they're cut jo? I hadn't thought of using it for anything longer lasting than a Crims decoration.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

The colour just fades gradually Nutcutlet. Although I cant say for definite as never thought about it. image

I always intended to do something with the prunings every yr, but never did- bar chopping & adding to compost bin. Because they're quite slim & flexible they are pretty easy to make a structure. I also use some of them as 'hoop' supports around potentially flopping hardy geraniums.

BTW none of these stems did root, but agree with Verdun about checking around your shrub to see if it's already done the job for you. image J.

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

A few years ago I put my cuttings in a bucket of water until I got around to planting them and completely forgot all about them.  Next time I went to look for a bucket I found them looking happy and healthy complete with roots. image

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

Mine are indoors in plastic cups starting to get leaves, moved to a bit cooler area so roots might appear, not done cutting before of dogwood normal red type - I do like the midwinter fire one nice yellow, red and orange  - nice in winter when no leaves.

When was it you took the cuttings Caz W I would like to try that way.

Hampshire Gardener