Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Drainage problem

Hi,

Can anyone advise as to how I can improve the drainage in my front garden. It's on a slight slope toward the house and last night's heavy rain is still sitting there. I really wanted to plant dwarf box hedging to line the paths but it won't survive waterlogging like this.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,278

Have you asked a vuilder avout the chances of installing land drains? If you can't have land drains put in I'd plant a bog garden.

• waterbutts been in the vino imageimage

• Stephanie, my garden is horrible for drainage too. Over the last few years, I've been chucking tonnes of well-rotted horse much on it, and it is improving. No where near as bad as it was. I used to have 6 inches of standing water all Winter, now it's just a temporary day or two before it drains. I'd hate to think how muany tonnes of horse muck I've got on it though............. image

• I don't think the land drain will work as there is nowhere for the water to drain to except downwards. It's only a small area that is sodden, about 4ft X 6ft, the rest drains away OK.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,278

Emma, I will have you know I haven't touched a drop. It's this d.....d iPad thingy. I'm a trained touch typist and I can't stand it.image