Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

It is usually recommended to add grit to the soil to improve drainage. I have a LOT of gravel, but this is never mentioned as an option. Could I use this instead?

Should be fine if it is pebble type, some are limestone based and these would affect soil PH and the plants that would grow there successfully.

Thank you very much Buttercupdays for your reply. Iasked the question not only because I have a good quantity of gravel, but I was interested to know why this easily obtainable medium was NEVER mentioned for use to assist drainage. Was there something undesirable in its effects on the soil? Did it glue it together even more? I am heartened by your reply as I have found grit expensive to buy and I will need quite a lot to aerate a garden which sits at the bottom of a former railway embankment. I will check PH.

treehugger80

any gravel will do, as will sharp sand (not builder sand, that causes more trouble than its worth!)

Thank you "treehugger". I am greatly relieved that I can use my readily available gravel as the quantity of grit I may have had to buy would set me back quite a bit!! I have had a similar reply from "buttercupdays". I have been pondering this for some time before I thought of asking via the forum. Thank you both