London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
41 to 57 of 57 messages
14/08/2012 at 06:51

I'd rather be famous for something else - but we are just a stone's throw from the John Innes Centre at Colney 

I think I'll continue as I am at the moment removing every spoiled leaf as soon as it's spotted  - they're as far away from the others as I can physically get them - but if it gets even slightly more rampant they'll be bagged and binned quick as a wink - but that way I may get a tomato or three off them yet - and given the size of Marmandes that's not to be sneezed at!

14/08/2012 at 07:40

Fair 'nuff. Which Marmandes are you growing? The modern Marmande isn't, unfortunately, much of a patch on the original French heirloom. Somewhere along the way I think some tweaking might have happened. The old Rouge de Marmande was a glorious tom.

14/08/2012 at 08:50

Not the Heirloom ones , just Suttons' .... as you say not like the original but I do think the original probably needs more of a Provencal climate than we can provide here most years - as you say  there's probably been some tweaking. 

So far no signs of anything on the other three, or on any of the Red Alerts - fngers still crossed - which accoubts for typng errords 

Thanks for your help 

15/08/2012 at 07:19

Update - one more blighted leaflet removed in last 24 hours - otherwise all appear healthy, albeit with three plants with black blotches on the stems 

15/08/2012 at 08:22

If you can grow the Suttons' version of Marmande you could grow the original Rouge de Marmande. The difficulty would be finding the genuine seeds.

15/08/2012 at 08:44

Google reveals lots of sources in Australia - strange that they don't appear to be available over here - I wonder if my Tasmanian cousins can get their hands on some for me 

15/08/2012 at 08:54

Tasmania? *shudders*

15/08/2012 at 09:13

Never been there myself but the photos look good - I understand some attitudes are a little 'behind the times'?  Perhaps they'll have heirloom tomatoes then?

15/08/2012 at 09:53

Funny place, Tasmania. Progressive in some ways - it was the birthplace of the Greens in Australia and remains to the forefront in terms of conservation, etc - but certain parts of the island are best avoided. Very small, isolated communities without much in the way of, um, genetic input from outside. If you get my drift.

15/08/2012 at 15:01

Ah, well my coz went there from South Wales around 1970 - no wonder he was grabbed swiftly by a local Tasmanian lass with whom he has gone on to found a dynasty

15/08/2012 at 15:05

Just what the place needed, an injection of Welsh genes.

17/08/2012 at 07:26

Well, two days on and no more signs of blight (fingers very crossed) - still with black blotches on a couple of stems - on the third one the blotch  had been higher up where one of the stems had bifurcated, so I cut that piece off.  I now have three quite healthy looking (apart from the aforementioned two black blotches) Marmandes in pots at one end of the garden, and three more very healthy looking Marmandes in pots, and 7 Red Alerts, at the other end of the garden, all busily setting fruit  

I'm washing my hands after touching them!

17/08/2012 at 07:53

There's no doubting your commitment, Dove. Or your sparkling clean hands.

30/08/2012 at 16:00

Any updates on your tommies Dove?

Fingers still crossed here.

30/08/2012 at 19:37

Hi Leggi, thanks for keeping those fingers crossed - it must be working, they're still alive and looking healthy with no more blotchy leaves for the past 10 days or so.  They're still flowering and setting fruit, at the same sort of rate as the three unaffected plants on the other side of the garden.    I am bemused but very pleased - I just wish we could have some warmer weather so the fruits stand a chance of ripening - or there'll be a lot of green tomato chutney cooked in this kitchen 

How are your toms?

30/08/2012 at 20:21

Green tomato chutney sounds delicious 

The rest of my tommies have so far been unaffected, they seem to particularly like growing by the side of my front garden, I think the light must be better there. We haven't had a large crop and most are like yours, still green, but we have picked more than some other years.

It's good to hear your plants have survived and are growing well.

30/08/2012 at 20:36
I had same problems with toms this year. I removed all leaves and cut out all diseased stems, etc. I removed all suspect tomatoes leaving the healthy ones. I already had a heavy crop....albeit green..... But I am picking every day and they are ripening quickly. Sun on tomatoes and plenty of air circulation seems to be the solution, for me.
email image
41 to 57 of 57 messages