London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
6 messages
06/04/2014 at 11:25

I noticed just now that the new growth on my Acer Katsura is dying (it's in a pot) and after closer inspection saw the dreaded vine weevil in the soil. There is still some good looking growth so will I be able to save it if I repot it completely in fresh compost? If so do I cut off all the dying growth to help aid it's recovery? 

I emptied some infested pots last week and laid out the compost on a big sheet so the birds could eat the pesky little nuisances. There are so signs of any grubs now so is it ok to throw that compost on the borders rather than waste it?

And Yes I WILL be going out today to buy some vine weevil killer to treat all my pots! 

06/04/2014 at 11:39

Can I ask how old is your Acer? How long have you had it? What compost have you planted it in?

06/04/2014 at 12:14

Hi Bamboogie

I've no idea how old the plant is but I bought the plant last year and planted it in ericaceous compost as advised by someone on the forum. 

06/04/2014 at 14:15

Hi tattianna, yes once the birds have picked-out all of the grubs it's fine to use the compost on borders.  Vine weevils rarely infest garden soil, much preferring compost in pots.  If you have a lot of potted plants, it's worth investing in a small pack of nematodes and treating them all. 

06/04/2014 at 14:54

Is the emerging growth limp or crispy? Crispy makes me think it has had wind damage over vine weevil grub root damage.

06/04/2014 at 20:07

Hi Tattianna, If its relative small and out of a nursery, they,re usually grown in peaty soil which vine weevil seem to love.

All my acers in pots are in a loam based compost, john innes 2 or 3. I don't have any problems with vine weevils.

If the root damage is serious, you might consider reducing the branches by a thrid, to reduce the stress on the acer from evaporation through the leaves.

email image
6 messages