London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
5 messages
08/05/2012 at 13:52

The leaves on an acer platanoides tree which was planted at vour local hospice two years ago have suddenly gone all droopy and limp. We know the ground does get wet where we out it and I wondered if the recent rains have affected it.

Any thoughts on the cause and, more importantly, have we lost it?

08/05/2012 at 23:34

its very wet where i am and mine looks ok at the moment...they hate the wind though and leaves go brown!

09/05/2012 at 13:33

To me it sounds like Verticillium, a soil-borne fungus  Acers are very prone to this disease. If it really is Verticillium, there is no cure I'm afraid. Do you have any pictures of the tree in that state? That could make things clearer for us.

09/05/2012 at 22:59

im no expert but following on from the last post i had a different plant with a fungus problem and the my gardening centre recommended i wash the plant with soil, bark and branches with a patio cleaner ...think it was almatroc (not sure of name), followed by an anti fungal spray when leaves appeared...having had two bad years with this plant its now back in shape..

16/08/2013 at 11:59

We have now lost the acer platanoides and an acer griseum planted nearby in the hospice garden. On speaking to the local nursery who supplied them, it would seem that they don't like very wet ground - which is what we have. Come autumn we will purchase another acer griseum and plant it in a drier area.

email image
5 messages