Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Drooping Dahlia

A dahlia I have kept inside in it's pot over Winter has been growing away for the last few weeks. As a result it has put on about 4-5 inches of healthy growth. Trouble is the stems are so soft they are drooping, a bit listless and won't stand up. Has anyone any tips as to how this can be remedied.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Move it to somewhere much cooler and lighter. It is growing fast because it is warm, but getting leggy because the light isn't good enough. You could move it outside in daytime and bring it in overnight, putting it somewhere very sheltered. You may find that these shoots shrivel, but the should be replaced by sturdy new ones.

• I agree with Alina very good advise but i would ad that Dahilas are extremely thirst so keep em well watered

• You could take cuttings from the leggy shoots.  Cut as near to the tuber as possible and dib the cuttings into compost, top with a plastic bag and you should get extra dahlias for free.  If they're really long and leggy then take off the top bit just above the first set of leaves.

• Thanks for the advice. They do indeed seem leggy come to think of it. I'll put it outside in the shade.