London (change)
Today 27°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
6 messages
19/02/2012 at 14:09

Please help !

I planted a Sunburst Cherry tree 3 years ago and although it has fruited every year it has never grown in height or spread.

Do I presume it is a dwarf ?( It is under 6ft)

Will it grow more if I prune it ?

Thanks in advance.

26/02/2012 at 13:52

Can anyone help me with this or shall I just dig it out and replace with a new tree ?

26/02/2012 at 16:42

I assume you know the height and spread of final growth? Did you check that via Google perhaps? It may inform you that the height it is now maybe it's max.

If you discover that it does get bigger, then I would be patient, as things take time to grow. That's what I would od anyway. Good luck.

26/02/2012 at 18:22

Thanks Fonzie.

I was pretty sure when I bought the tree it was labled as M26 so I've been expecting it to grow bigger over the years,but it hasn't. It is still the same height and spread as when I bought it. This is why I think it might well be a Dwarf and not what I expected.

I wanted a medium sized tree that would give me blossom,and fruit for me and the birds. Not a tiny tree that bends when a Pigeon lands on it !

27/02/2012 at 00:09

We also have a dwarf cherry tree, it's only about 6 years old & for the first few years it hardly grew at all although it blossomed great. But that's the thing, it's a dwarf - it's not supposed to suddenly shoot up to the label-stated height and then stop so don't worry! Last year we took a punt and moved ours out of the raised bed where we wanted to grow veg, into a large half barrel. I noticed this week that it's now covered in buds, so that's a relief that it's moved ok.

The only pruning I've done to it is to aesthetic, to remove a few straggly new shoots near the base, and some minimal shaping. Maybe you could check the ph etc of your soil against what the optimum recommendation is.

I'd say perservere, the birds & insects love ours.

21/04/2012 at 12:29

Should we be feeding the trees at all?

email image
6 messages