London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
9 messages
07/05/2014 at 10:24

I have lived in my house for 17 years and have spent a fair bit on trying to grow new trees in my garden.  I live on a site that is south west facing and slopes away from my house. I have bought a number of trees including Robinia and Betula.  They seem to be OK for a few years and start to grow, but within 5 years they are dead.  The Robinia seemed to die from the top down - the first year it went into decline it died off at the top, with the rest following suit the following season.  I had a cluster of three Betula that also went one year after the other.  In the area I am planting the soil is slightly chalky and shrubs like Cornus are fine and have survived......I have a Salix on the edge of my garden that has hung in there - but it isn't thriving, although it has survived for about 12 years!! I would like to try and put some young trees in again - but I wonder if I am just wasting my money if there is something in the soil that is killing them off...? Any thoughts on this would be really appreciated. Thanks

07/05/2014 at 10:43

Just a wild guess, but you could check for honey fungus.
Some info here - http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=180

Pete

07/05/2014 at 14:23

My Robinia also died but I think there has been a problem with these trees all over the country as many succumbed to a disease. My friend lost her 30 yr old tree and I've seen others that have been removed too. Sad as they are lovely trees.

Not sure about the others although it may be worth checking your soil type as could be an issue if it's very alkaline. I have to be careful what I plant as certain things just hate the high PH in my garden. 

15/10/2014 at 06:21

I have a salix tree in my garden everyone admired it, but it suddenly the leaves seemed to turn brown overnight and the tree died what was the possible cause

15/10/2014 at 06:38

When did this happen David?

15/10/2014 at 06:41

About 2months ago

15/10/2014 at 06:52

There have been lots of fungal conditions affecting tree leaves this year - probably partly to do with the mild winter we had which allowed such things to remain hanging around rather than getting killed by the frost, and then a very warm summer with damp spells provided the perfect growing conditions for such things.

If your tree had been there several years and was established my guess is that it has just shed its leaves but that the tree itself is fine and will be lovely again in the spring.

I would rake up any of the leaves that are still on the ground around it and bin or burn them, and give the tree a light mulch of organic matter (well rotted farmyard manure or compost or similar) keeping the mulch clear of the trunk but spreading it around the tree for a good 1.5m diameter.  Then in February give it a feed with some Fish Blood & Bone (as directed on the pack) and that will perk it up.

15/10/2014 at 12:41

Hi I have what we think is a goat willow in the garden that recently grew lots of mushrooms out of its roots and near the base - honey fungus. About half the trees leaves have turned yellow (no other trees nearby have yellow leaves yet) - I am wondering what we need to do about it? Does the tree need to be taken out asap? What are the chances of other trees becoming infected? I know there used to be 2 cherry trees the other side of the fence, one only a few feet away from our tree and they both died but it was slow and quite a few years between then and I don't know what they died of.

15/10/2014 at 18:55

Zina, have a read of this factsheet which is very helpful in understanding Honey fungus.  It is a  document from the government of Guernsey but applies equally well to anywhere:

http://www.gov.gg/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=4797&p=0

It also contains lists of both susceptible and resistant trees and shrubs which can prove very useful if you do have HF in your garden like some of us here do;  Basically you just have to live with it but can help stop it spreading by removing dead stumps and regular cultivation of soil in areas you know are affected.

email image
9 messages