London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
11 messages
19/06/2012 at 20:33

Hello,

I was much too eager this year and sowed  some biennials  early. I  have a lovely batch of forget me nots sowed end of  Feb, plants look healthy and will need potting on soon. Same goes for wall flowers which I have planted out today as they were pot bound and starting to struggle

The forget me nots haven't flowered but I do lack the space to keep potting on. I have a small woodland area of the garden and want to plant them there, bit concerned as when they should be flowering the would be more light than there is now.

Should I just plant them out or wait til end of Summer/Autumn?The forget me nots that I have in the garden have obviously died back now.Didn't realise I had so many before I sowed the seeds

Any advice? Don't want to waste the plants that I have grown from seed all be it too early.

Thanks

20/06/2012 at 12:29

You should be OK planting the forget-me nots if they're a decent size, I would have thought. Or perhaps you could put them in a temporary, less shaded, bed?

23/06/2012 at 21:25

Hi Alina,

Thanks for your response, the forget me nots are still in their in their pots, still looking healthy.  I'm thinking of doing half in a temporary bed and the rest I'll pot on til the Autumn- that'll teach me to do things too early

14/07/2012 at 20:48

Hi Alina,

All the forget me nots went in a few weeks ago. In the end I just planted them in various places but most went into the woodland area. They look so much better for it. Think I'm going to have loads of forget me nots.

14/07/2012 at 21:21

Glad you asked the Q Hollie-Hock. I sowed forget-me-nots, viola and coneflowers, beginning of June and they are still in seed compost, at the true leaf stage, so ready to pot on but wasn't sure whether to keep potting on until autumn time and then plant out.

Was going to sow foxglove, bellis and sweet william in the next few day's too for next year but that's where my knowledge ends regarding biennials. I don't have any room to plant out until Autumn when everything is dying back, can you help Alina with advise. They are all labelled as hardy but I was wondering how hardy is that, will they survive snow and being planted out over winter untill next year.      

14/07/2012 at 21:23

They will survive over winter in this country and flower next year

06/08/2012 at 22:44

All my early sown biennials have been planted and seem to be doing well, especially the wallflowers and sweet rocket.

A lot of the wallflowers have flowered/flowering, got some more on the go for Spring as well as more sweet rocket & foxgloves.

I do wonder whether  those wallflowers that have been sowed and flowered this year, will they flower next year as well?

06/08/2012 at 22:57
Hi Hollie hock, again this e ending. Best to pinch out wallflowers to make them bushy. I grow them on in my veg plot and they majke large plants to transplant to their final positions in September. Try stocks too. your forgetmenots will set lots of seeds. You will be surprised. With so much flowering now you don't need your wallflowers flowering too, do you?l
07/08/2012 at 17:48

Hi Chris, Wallflowers in bloom now were more of an accident than a plan! Got a bit ahead of myself at the end at the beginning of this year and had an urge to sow seeds. Wallflowers were also one of the first seeds that I ever sowed so I am very fond  of them.

I collected some "wild type seeds" that were growing out of some rubble, all you have to do is show them some  soil and then they are off! Probably about 3-4 months from sowing the seeds and then the flowers.

Stocks- I grow a lot of night scented stock as again, they were another first for me and the smell in the evening air is fantastic.

Don't know much about the other stocks that I could grow.  I heard of some 8 weeks stocks but much more interested in the longer lived variety.Are there any that I could sow now for next year?

07/08/2012 at 18:38

Hi Guy's! 

Very disappointed with my bienials/perenials I sowed this year! It has been a very  strange year this year I must admit! But hey! Forever the optimist! There's always next year! 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10664.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

If I get a dozen plants! I;ll be happy!!

08/08/2012 at 00:10
Hi holliehock. The stocks I refer to are the hardy type. Bit late to sow them now. I do cheat....a neighbour grows wallflowers stocks sweet Williams etc and I get them to plant out as I said earlier. My veg patch has space about now for a few rows of them. I like deans attitude........some things do well and some not so well every season and next year will be the best yet
email image
11 messages