London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
11 messages
03/11/2012 at 09:23
Hi I have an echinacea plant in a pot which I would quite like to keep for next year, how do I go about wintering it, any advice please?
03/11/2012 at 09:54

Echinaceas are fully hardy so it should be fine. If they die in winter it's usually because they are planted in badly drained clay soil that gets too wet. If you are worried you could always wrap the pot in fleece or bubble wrap.

03/11/2012 at 12:30

I can't keep these going. I put them in the ground, might get a poor flower or two in the first year and never see them again. I haven't got particularly heavy soil. Could dryness through the summer be a problem? I planted yet another one in September and it looks good and leafy at the moment. It would be good to see some flowers like the ones I see in other gardens. Any suggestions as to how I might look after it better?

03/11/2012 at 13:26
Hi all. I've had fun n games with echinaceas over recent years. It's mainly been about the new varieties, the spectacularly colourful ones that have been rushed out by the suppliers. However, I've learned how to grow them now. They need to establish good root systems before they flower. I cut off early flower stems, similar to the Chelsea chop I guess, in late spring. I ensure they do not go dry. (because they are "prairie" plants I used to assume they liked dry conditions but not so). I water well in spring, mulch and feed, and keep them free from competition from other plants...they don't like being crowded out. I either keep them outside or dig them up to overwinter in good-size pots. I grow Tiki Torch, marmalade, hot Papya and others and last year they were superb, flowering from mid summer to now. Some new varieties are weak, Arts Pride and Harvest Moon for example, and seem not be perennial at all. I would not plant any echinacea in the autumn though, so nutcutlet, I would dig yours up and keep in greenhouse til spring
03/11/2012 at 13:40

I have kept mine in the conservatory ,seems to like that.

03/11/2012 at 13:55

Another reason that echinacea disappear is that slugs love them.

03/11/2012 at 14:12

Thanks folks

I'll go and dig it up.

03/11/2012 at 18:53
Thanks, might cut of the dead stuff then winter in the green house.
03/11/2012 at 21:02

My greenhouse isn't heated, will it be OK or should I wtap it up as well?

03/11/2012 at 23:19
No, unheated is fine.
04/11/2012 at 11:00

Many thanks

email image
11 messages