Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Egg idenification

Hi everyone, I have just been weeding my garden and have come across some small eggs in the soild.  Initially, I assumed they would be slug eggs (I had come across a few whilst weeding) and removed them.  Then I considered they may be worm eggs, (as there were a number of these too) which I obviously want to keep.  I have 'googled' both types of eggs and am still none the wiser.  Just wondered if anyone out there could help identify these eggs.  Thanks.

• lazy gardenerlazy gardener Posts: 317

Slug/snail eggs are white and easily distinguishable

I have never seen a worm egg in my life

There are also also capsules that look like eggs and are slow release plant food

Wouldn't worry too much -there are all sorts of things in the soil-goodies and baddies-don't get hung up about this it is nature-if they are not in your soil they are in your neighbours-how are you going to stop that?image

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218

Good point LG - got to keep it in perspective. . . . but don't we just hate it when those pesky slimey creatures gorge on our lovely new shoots.  There's no mistaking them when they're mature so they won't get away with their behaviour for long!

• Worm eggs are yellow/beige and are round like a ball.

Bill

• Sorry I forgot,if you sprinkle coarse sand around the plant stalk out about 4 inches that will stop slugs and snails as the do not like to crawl on the sand.

Bill

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138
    otnorot wrote (see)

Sorry I forgot,if you sprinkle coarse sand around the plant stalk out about 4 inches that will stop slugs and snails as the do not like to crawl on the sand.

Bill

I've done exactly that this spring, around my delphiniums and hostas, and all are intact - so far image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218

Thanks for the sand tip, otnorot/Bill, I'll be doing that too.  image