London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 48 messages
25/02/2014 at 14:33

I've started keeping my egg shells again to try and deter anything slimy from eating my plants!!  I was just wondering if anyone knows an easier way of cleaning them as it seems to take me forever, also does the 'skin' (there probably is a technical word but I can't remember it) inside the shell need to be removed as in the past I have been told different things?

Finally, I dry them and crush them and put them in a large storage jar until I need to use them, again I just want to check that is correct?

Thanks

25/02/2014 at 14:40

Had a look around and saw this. It might help or it might not. Dratted things.

http://www.allaboutslugs.com/eggshell-myth-busted/

25/02/2014 at 14:42

Tracey - I'm a newbie too. But I've been putting mine in a jam jar with some very weak bleachy water and giving them a woosh around before putting them in the bottom of the oven for 5 minutes or so after cooking a main meal til they are dry.

I then throw them in my kilner jar and hit them with the end of the rolling pin when they get too close to the edge of the jar (trying to avoid bashing them too much until I need them else the ones at the bottom will be just dust which while it'll provide calcium for the soil can't see it deterring a slug). 

It seems to be working so far!

25/02/2014 at 14:46

Thanks, an interesting article.  Answers my question about washing them  and removing the membrane (that was the word I couldn't think of!!). They do seem to have worked for me in the past but I was wondering if all the effort was worth it or just to get slug pellets??

I know people will say go out and pick them up, but I am really squeamish with slugs so that isn't an option

25/02/2014 at 14:48

If you click on the link at the bottom of that page it says that there are some new slug killers available that aren't the blue pellets and only affect the slugs. Never sure if they are effective and even if they are available in the UK. I am going to try nematodes this year. Good luck.

25/02/2014 at 14:48

Thanks Clarington - I didn't realise you were a newbie, I thought you had been on ages  The tip with the bleach solution and drying them out is a good one, I do what you do with the end of a wooden spoon in the jar.  I collected so many last year that I still have a jar full left - we eat lots of eggs 

25/02/2014 at 14:58

Ma used to dry the eggshells off in the bottom oven of the Rayburn until they were dry and almost 'cooked'.  The membrane was dry and brittle and would not have been attractive to slugs.  Then the shells were crushed up much finer than in the pics on the link - almost like grit  - Ma said it worked and so did Granny. 

25/02/2014 at 15:00

Thanks Dove, I have mine quite fine at the moment.  The oven is a great tip, at the moment I spend ages trying to get rid of all the membrane, obviously that eliminates the need to do that.

I think I will go with Ma and Granny's trusted method, thank you

25/02/2014 at 15:12

Tracey, no I've only been here since November-ish time. I just talk a lot!

I'm going for the egg shells (on the basis that being in Yorkshire it is our favourite price a la cheap, wont cause any damage, wont harm any other animals, worse comes to worse it just gets muddled into the compost which is where it would have ended up anyway) and going out with chop sticks with a torch and bucket at night.

Not entirely sure what'll happen to the slugs once they're in my bucket though!

25/02/2014 at 15:14

Urghhhhh Clari.....the thought of it turns my stomach

25/02/2014 at 15:16

I agree with Dove.  No need to wash.  Just dry out in the oven when you are cooking something else.

I love people who are too squeamish to pick up slugs, but not to squeamish to kill them!

25/02/2014 at 15:21
Tracey-Newbie wrote (see)

Urghhhhh Clari.....the thought of it turns my stomach

Its the easiest way Tracey! And like changing a nappy gets better with practice - especially once the slug count starts to get you and you find yourself hunting for more of the devils in a bid to beat last weeks count! I did think about using the beer trick where you sink a pint of beer into the ground for them to drown in  but imagine the mushy mess not to mention should you have a warm day and then the garden reeks of warm beer and slug juice!

25/02/2014 at 15:28

i have an old frying pan with the handle removed, i rinse the shells and put them in the pan and then put them in the oven when its on for something else but i then put them in the wormery

25/02/2014 at 15:29

Oh no, couldn't do the beer method, that would be DISGUSTING!!!  I might be really brave and try the bucket, but where do you put them?

25/02/2014 at 15:37

I think you are totally wasting your time with Egg shells. As soon as the shells, however ground up they are, get wet then Slugs just glide over it. Tried, been there and never again.

You are better to try small grit and sand as I have found Slugs do not like going over that...unless the plant gets with reach and they use that to climb over to the plant.

In summer I go out at night to pick up slugs - put salt in the water in a bucket and the slugs die quickly. I avoid using blue pellets but sometimes it is the only thing to cull the population.

25/02/2014 at 15:55

I cut them in half with scissors.  Much the best method.  No chemicals or noxious substances and the bodies are available to wildlife.  They will all be cleared away by the morning.

And the best bit?  The method is FREE!

25/02/2014 at 15:58

WelshOnion - I think I can hear Tracey throwing up!

Though a little gruesome that's a rather clever way, I was trying to work out how I could dispose of the slugs in such a way that the birds could benefit - a much better way than lining the bird tray feeder with salt!!

25/02/2014 at 17:00

Slugs will eat one another if they are injured. I tried the scissor method a couple of years ago and was horrified to see a dead one being eaten by his mates later on.! So yes they are not usually there on the morning after!

25/02/2014 at 17:44
Bluuuuuuuuuurrrghhhhhhhhhh
25/02/2014 at 17:47

Tracey put them in the oven on a low heat for a few hours.... That's what I do and I mix it with coffee grinds from my costa lot on coffee!!!!! Plus I feed the shells back to my chickens ( good for them)

1 to 20 of 48 messages