London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
7 messages
05/06/2013 at 21:32

Hi -hopefully you can offer some advice-I have planted some rowan trees ( sheerwater seedling variety ).They were slightly damaged by a strimmer.(around base of trees).I cut out any damage and applied a commercial sealant.I have since learned sealant may not have been the best way to help the tree heal.(It is now considered an old fashioned treatment apparently)As it cannot be undone without causing further damage -has anyone any tips on encouraging growth /recovery in these trees. The soil type is slightly acidic and of good quality and they were surrounded with mulch to aid that peaty base they seem to prefer.Any ideas ? (Some apple and pear trees affected and treated with this method also). I would welcome  any constructive ideas -thank you.

05/06/2013 at 21:43

How far into the bark and how far round the tree is the damage? Cutting right through to below the bark all round the tree is death, Trees survive quite a lot of damage naturally, deer etc, and survive but it's a potential start point for rot til it heals over. Have you photos of the extent of the damage

05/06/2013 at 21:49

In the New Forest where I live one hazard for trees is that deer rub off the bark as they mark the tree with their scent. I think the bucks have a scent gland between their antlers.  When this happens I wrap the area with a pair of ladies' tights or stockings. As this is elasticated, I tie it very tight. This appears to work although as the deer don't rub all the way round it may well be that the tree would survive anyway. 

05/06/2013 at 21:58

Hi -thank you -The damage wasn't all the way around at all -minor  but it looked about one quarter to  third of girth ( max )when cut back for repair in total.On the rowan tree it was mild 

exterior layer bark damage really.Damaged area is now covered in sealant so extent of damage is now masked.I am just hoping my well intended  "repair" didn't stress the trees more.(One of the apple trees was completely girdled -I tried a graft transplant plus sealant-but I think that ones not going to last!).The areas were cleaned to expell discolouration and deter rot -then sealant dressing applied.Are these tree types robust enough to withstand this "help ?"Thanks

05/06/2013 at 21:59

Great idea about the tights -thats one to try -thanks

05/06/2013 at 22:08

I wouldn't worry about the sealant. It may be out of fashion now but it was used for years so it can't be that bad. I know a lot of people that still seal any pruning cuts and they're as successful as those who don't.

It doesn't sound good for the apple.

What proportion of your planting is affected?

05/06/2013 at 22:19

Only one tree was girdled (oh it was a cherry tree now that I think of it)- about four other apple trees were damaged but not ringed.Thanks for the reassurance re-sealant -I love trees  in the garden and just wanted reassurance I hadn't caused more damage.Thank you for taking the time to respond-much appreciated.

email image
7 messages