Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

English Laurel is bare on top

We planted an English Laurel 15 yrs ago. It was as small as a rose bush. It's 11 feet tall and 6 wide. It's gorgeous or was until this year. We think our gutter leaked across the top. The top foot is baren. This year, I've fertilized and watered accordingly. The rest is lush, green and flowering, but those top strong branches are naked. I think I know the answer. Everyone here says, I should go for it and give it a major hair cut. I guess I've been afraid, because I don't want to loose another foot next year, if it wasn't excess water. Any advice? I'd be so grateful.

Thank you so much!

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

If you cut 2’ off the top, it will make that again next year, you won’t lose anything. It does them good to be cut.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I had to resort to Google.

I've never heard it being called "English" laurel before.

Devon.
  • I have a few laurels in my garden and all are fast growing so don't worry, cut the tops off.

You will indeed find next season they will bush out with lovely new branches and look great.

I always cut mine with secateurs so not to damage the leaves.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

We always cut ours with the hedge trimmer, any cut leaves soon turn brown and then drop off in a few days so you wouldn’t know any difference. Would be there for a long time with secateurs.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.