3 messages
11/10/2013 at 11:35

I've cut a very old escallonia bush right down to a stump of about four or five big roots, and would like to know the best way to get this out. I've had a go with fork and spade but not made much impression.  My ability is limited due to arthritis and wonder if I should keep going a bit at a time to eventually remove it. Any ideas? - Thank you

11/10/2013 at 11:41

I have a similar problem Carol Ann with a dead tree I needed to take out. I dug down and cut all the big roots with a saw, but there's a vertical one which defeats me. I'm going to resort to hacking bits off with an axe as far down as possible and leaving the rest in. Is that an option or do you need to get it right out?  I moved a mature laurel in the summer the same way but had to get my brother in law to use brute force to get the last bit. Maybe worth getting a relative or friend - a strong 'boy' - to help if possible. 

11/10/2013 at 20:17

Fairygirl that's very helpful.  Makes me want to keep going!  - Thank you.  I will try to get it right out, well most of it anyway. It will be very satisfying to remove it myself even though it would be a slow process.  I can call on help if needed. Thanks again

email image
3 messages