London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
7 messages
27/04/2013 at 20:48

I have had a Eucalyptus tree for years.  Regularly chop it down so that it's compact and it keeps its small leaves.  Did the same last year and it looks like it is dying.  No new growth and now the leaves are dappled red and brown.  Has two 'trunks' one with nothing at all. Would the flooded garden have done anything to it.  I always thought they were thirsty trees.  What do you think?

Second time of trying.  Fingers crossed.

28/04/2013 at 00:26

Eucalyptus are fine coppiced every year but I found that they can sulk a bit sometimes if too cold

Not really thirsty plants Tina and the flooding would not have been good for eucalyptus

I assume it's Gunnii?  You should see some shoots soon if it's ok

I love the colour of those  juvenile leaves

28/04/2013 at 08:58

Eucalyptus is the only tree that can shoot from any part of its trunk so I dare say it shall do that. Was probably just set back by the flooding which lets be honest, in its natural habitat, would be as often as hell freezing over

28/04/2013 at 09:02

The big one up the road from here hasn't put out any new shoots yet. 

28/04/2013 at 09:55

Thanks everyone.  I did wonder about it sitting in water.  I know that it was because when next door dug to put his concrete posts in, the hole filled with water!  We do suffer with flooding, garden only, when we have excessive rain.  Also thought about the leaves and gales we have been having.

No idea what it is Verdun.  You should know by now that I buy without knowing what I am buying.

Note to self, must be more patient.

28/04/2013 at 10:13

Tina..

They do regenerate well - I've had a few and you can hack them but the wet won't be great for them if it's long term.

Had your weetabix  yet? I'm having an extra piece of toast...better for me than the croissants I was going to get yesterday for brekkie today..

28/04/2013 at 11:02

Of course I have FG - just.  Went out to supervise the relaying of the slabs, in my nightclothes - like you do - and just had the usual.  Ah, yes, but the croissants would have tasted nicer. Nice big dollops of butter and jam.  Yum.  But - a minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips.

Sorry, this was about my tree. 

email image
7 messages