London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
4 messages
09/04/2013 at 08:14

I want to move a euonymous.  I have done this with others before so no great shakes but I planted it through a membrane with gravel on top and want to move it just a few feet.  I am trying to keep the mess down.  Can anyone tell me (guess) how deep and wide the roots are likely to be?  The plant is about three years old and is about a metre high with a spread of 30 cms.  I know I can just dig it up and go for it but am trying to plan.  Thanks

09/04/2013 at 09:04

Hi Bobloes, that's a E. japonica i think? You shouldn't have any trouble moving that. It's a good time to move evergreens. Hard to predict root extension but try and get it all, or as much as you can.  It will be a bit of an upheaval with the gravel and membrane but it's important to the euonymus to have it's roots kept and nicely spread out in it's new home. The non living stuff can be put back to rights more easily.

09/04/2013 at 09:16

The rootball will be roughly the width of the plant, but dig at least 6 inches further out than that.

09/04/2013 at 15:04

Thanks chaps/chapesses.  Confirmed what I thought, just need a dry day - less mess.  Good luck.

email image
4 messages