London (change)
Today 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
10 messages
23/02/2013 at 12:43

I have a euphorbia which has gone crazy. It's put out young plants (stolons?) everywhere and the 'parent' plane has flopped over. It's a mess! Can I cut it right back now and pull out the babies I don't want? Thanks

23/02/2013 at 15:05

I am not an expert but I thought a good rule with euphorbias was to prune after flowering unless you are happy to lose all this years flowers and run the risk of frost damage.

My understanding is that they are quite tough but they still would not like frost in open wounds. Only you can decide how much you like your plant. Could you repot the young plants and keep them in a greenhouse?

Remember euphorbia sap is toxic, you will need gloves and eye protectors and you have to clean your secetaurs, apologies if this is old news.

23/02/2013 at 17:11
Prune after flowering removing to the ground the flowered stems and leaving the others.
23/02/2013 at 19:55

I inhertied some type of euphorbia when I moved here, it spreads like mad and for me I am completley underwhelmed by the "flowers" that they have. It's called bug eyes here. I pull up as many of the younger plants every year. I leave some as although I don't like the plant, their leaves do fill a space in the woodland area that I have.

Might just do some early prunning in the hope that I kill some of them off.

23/02/2013 at 20:29
I have a couple of purple foliage euphorbias and a delightful variegated one....name escapes me for mo......but I agree with Hollie Hock. I grow for foliage. A great foil for hellebores....purple foliage next to white hellebore, for example, is quite nice and also contrasts well with Bowles Golden Grass in spring n summer.
24/02/2013 at 10:35

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait until it warms up and then do some pruning.

02/04/2014 at 10:17

The milky sap is an irritant so be very careful what it touches - wear gloves etc. The whole plant is poisonous. I believe different varieties vary between mildly irritant and very nasty indeed, or it may be different people react more strongly.

02/04/2014 at 10:24

If it's one of the running type,just dig out what you don't want. E. griffithii has to be kept under control this way. Others just form a nice  compact stool. I have a chunk of some perennial wild type emerging from the hedge. It's where my new  raised bed for herbs is going, so it's coming out today.

02/04/2014 at 10:26

Sap on the skin is far worse if the skin is exposed to Sun. The sap photosensitises the skin.

02/04/2014 at 18:18
fidgetbones wrote (see)

Sap on the skin is far worse if the skin is exposed to Sun. The sap photosensitises the skin.

I've learnt something today!

email image
10 messages