Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

expensive???

For the last year I having been paying #20.00 per month for a lawn care service, all they do is feed the lawn and apply weed killer for moss....yes it looks a little greener, moss not as bad.....is this expensive as they only come twice in summer and again in november/december....I have talked to the company who convinced me its worth it....but what do you think?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

If you are fit and able you can do it yourself for less than 20.00 per year, but if your not, then it is worth it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• £240 over one year!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

These products can only be applied a couple of times a year so their frequency of care is OK but you can probably buy the products yourself and sprinkle it on yourself either by hand or with a distributor.

Then you can spend a £100 or so on a scarifier machine which you run over your grass in spring and again in autumn to remove thatch and dead material from your grass.    You'll have an amazing lawn in a short time and tools you can use for years - all for less than the £240 annual service charge.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • I would say it all rather depends on the size of the lawn for starters and perhaps the state it was in when they quoted the price.  And, probably, where you live

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

If its been deweeded, you could give it a rest for a year,and then reconsider.

I have lots of weeds in my lawn, it doesn't bother me. If you want a bowling green type, then its upt o you. My lawn just gets mown on an irregular basis. if you feed it you have to mow it more.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    You don't say the size of the lawn, but ??240.00 for three visits seems rather expensive.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

How much?!!!!!!

I'd be worrying about all the lovely flowers in my grass, they might get damagedimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • its not a huge lawn at all, im cancelling it....thanks everyone x

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Good move Deniseimage

In the sticks near Peterborough