London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
3 messages
06/10/2012 at 17:09

I've moved into my house about 18 months ago and it has a mature fairy ring in the lawn, which is large & is spreading.  Its killing the grass as it goes and leaving a bare circle behind it.  Apart from digging up the area, is there anything else that is useful to do?

06/10/2012 at 17:54

I'm not sure there's much you can do to kill it off, but you could re-sow the grass as the fairies move on.

Joe

07/10/2012 at 06:42

Gary I have fairy rings in my garden, and a fungus grew like a white plastic across the surface depriving the grass of water and subsequently killing it.  It got so bad that we contacted a grass maintenance company who came in and aerated the lawn and applied a fungicide and a wetting agent.  This has helped but the company told us that this will only push it back and not kill it.  I am keeping these areas aerated and wet but the toadstools do still keep coming.  You can not buy the fungicide they use it's only for industrial use

Apparently the only way to get rid is to literally dig it up, I read somewhere 2 feet deep and 2 foot either side of the ring and dispose of the soil but when they are as large as the ones in my garden this is not realistically possible.

My lawn is a lot better at the moment (called the company in March) but I'm going to have to keep a close eye on it.

email image
3 messages