London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 5°C
16 messages
SAH
01/03/2013 at 16:38

I need to plant a few fast growing hardy shrubs in order to hide a neighbours eyesore. They are to be planted alongside our driveway in the front of our property.  Any suggestions please.

SAH
01/03/2013 at 17:40

well how big are they? how big do the shrubs need to be to cover them, how big do you want to buy them, how mutch do you want to spend? Do you want any specific characteristics like flowering, varigated etc?

01/03/2013 at 17:55

Perhaps a trellis and some climbers-but as Dave says more info needed-a photo always helps as well

01/03/2013 at 19:40
Buddleias are great for quick growth....nice foliage n lovely flowers. The taller hebes like Salicifola types have white, blue, red flowers. Lonicera Baggesons Gold is quick and a beautiful foliage plant. How about a dahlia or two, crocosmia, cannas, etc for brilliant summer colour?
Lyn
01/03/2013 at 19:53
The quickest growing is Laurel or you could really annoy them with quick growing leylandii.
01/03/2013 at 20:04

carefull with Leylandii, a legislation in anti social behaviour  means you could end up in hot water if your neighbours complain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4596685.stm

I think that Budleja is a good option, although wont create a total screen. OH is finally getting into it, just shouted out bamboo

01/03/2013 at 20:14
I have bamboo , watch how it spreads but love mine .
01/03/2013 at 23:47
Bunny, yes watch that bamboo. I "had a thing" for bamboos once. Had a few varieties but all of em invaded. They seemingly behave until you suddenly notice a shoot appearing several feet away and then another in a different spot. I have removed them all? Best in large pots
02/03/2013 at 16:18

Trouble with fast-growing is that the shrubs often don't have an 'off' switch and you will be back on this board asking how to deal with shrubs which have grown too big.

It is difficult to see what you need without a photo of the eye-sore and how much room you have for the shrubs/small trees/bushes.

02/03/2013 at 17:14

As Welshonion says, a fast growing shrub will be a thug that brings its own problems and with the rapid height will also come rapid width requiring lots of maintenance to keep looking good and within bounds.

The trellis panels suggested above would provide instant height and be decorative in themselves without width.   You can then add climbers for colour and even perfume.   There's a wide range of clematis and roses suitable for many aspects and you would have to choose them depending on whether they are to be south, west, east or north facing, exposed to winds and cold and so on.

03/03/2013 at 17:20

What is the eyesore?

04/07/2013 at 14:15

I have a problem too our neighbours have built a log cabin which is much higher than we thought from the plans will be five fence panels long and about five /six  ft higher than our 6 foot fence. Thinking of putting trellis on our fence also high fast growing trees/shrubs/climbers.  Any suggestions please!!! 

04/07/2013 at 15:11

Thats not a log cabin. 30 ft long and 12 feet high?  Have they got planning permission?

Thats a barn.

07/08/2013 at 21:40

I have a huge problem, Im not an expert a gardener at all (bit of a novice) and tesco have just built 3 story row of terrace houses at the end of my garden, they are on a slope up so are more like 4 story. About 5 years ago we levelled and concreted the end of our garden for a seating area and shed. I am going to have to dig up a section at the end on our boundary wall to plant something to try and gain back some privacy. I am gonna dig an area about 50cm x 2m, I was thinking leyland Cyprus but am worried that the roots will lift remaining patio and shed!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

18/06/2014 at 21:56

Hi, the best climbers I've ever had are Clematis Montana 'Mile-a-Minute', it's does what it say's on the box, very rapid growth, full of pink flowers and makes a wonderful screen on trellis, up old trees, over sheds etc. My other favourite is Jasmin, very fast growth once it's coming to the end of it's flowering, fast spreading and the scent is intoxicating! As for a hedge covering I would go for Laurel, just 'borrow' a few woody cuttings and stick them in some rooting powder and pop them into the soil where you want them to grow. Plant 2 next to each other at a time in case 1 fails. This can be left to grow as a dense tree then cut away all the branches from the bow to head height and just leave it to form a mushroom or clip it to form a barrier hedge. It's an evergreen, very hardy, you can hack at it and it comes back and is fast growing, but be careful if you burn the cuttings, they catch fire with a whoosh! My last choice for a hedge would be Forsythia, flowers yellow 1st in Spring then all the new growth happens ready to flower the following year. Once it's happy it can throw up branches in excess of 2ft growth per year! If you keep taking the tops off it will form a very dense hedge in no time at all. Hope this is of help to you 

18/06/2014 at 22:02
All of the above, ive just spent much of the day removing a very energetic vaginia creeper, that could work, its covered 3 fence panels in a year, pain in the bum now tho, but should be fine by a path, beautiful in autumn
email image
16 messages