5 messages
26/08/2013 at 13:11

I am having a nightmare controlling what I consider to be a weed but I believe could be a member of the oxalis family. It has copper coloured four leaf clover shaped leaves with small yellow flowers. It spreads like mad, is in my borders, my pots and is trying to spread into my lawn. Any ideas how to get rid please?   

26/08/2013 at 13:18

Same problem & a bit of a nightmare to control.

Lots of hand weeding (fork out the seedlings as soon as you see them - I don't think using a hoe works as the basal roots are left behind) and use a glyphosphate weedkiller on any larger patches. I'm not on top of mine yet - but I'm getting there!!

26/08/2013 at 13:18

Just identified it as Oxalis Corniculata, now wondering if anyone has had any success removing it. 

26/08/2013 at 13:38

I have loads of mares tails in my allotment. It springs up just about everywhere and Im having trouble trying to control it. Ive been told by another allotment holder that there is nothing to get rid of it. Is this true or can someone help.

26/08/2013 at 13:51
Meomye wrote (see)

Just identified it as Oxalis Corniculata, now wondering if anyone has had any success removing it. 

When I managed a nursery they were sent in as bedding plants can you believe it?!

If you dig make sure the soil is nice and moist and workable. The roots go deep for such an innocent little plant and they will come back. Dig down and ease out slowly. Only way to do it. If you don't want to use chemicals

email image
5 messages