London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
11 messages
28/05/2014 at 08:41

I want to continue giving my plants, especially clematis and rose, their phostrogen liquid feed but how on earth can I do that when they are sodden wet with all this rain? Is there a good dry food I can sprinkle on, or can I use the pellets for tubs and baskets?

28/05/2014 at 08:54

I'm glad you asked that MrsGarden, I was wondering the same.

Most powders seem to be for long term feeding, that's what I put on my roses, but I don't like to pour more water on things that are already soaked. I presume the plant wouldn't drink it anyway if it is already wet?

28/05/2014 at 08:58

They'll certainly carry on taking in water.  The danger is just that the fertiliser, if it's a soluble one, will be leached out by the rain before the plants have a chance to absorb much of it.  Would blood/fish/bone be any good?

28/05/2014 at 09:01

FBB., or Gromore are both powdered feeds which will give plants a boost for the next 3 monts. For pots I use the slow release pellets which are supposed to work for up to 6 months.

The advantage of the rain, is that it will help the fertiliser to dissolve.

28/05/2014 at 09:22

Plants, especially if in containers or needed for cropping, need nutrients in wet weather. Blight spores use rain to germinate on plants ( the spore pierces the plant surface). A healthy plants can withstand the fungal infections a bit better. Seaweed feed is a real boost for soggy plants. Don't be tempted to concentrate feeds!!!

Soil organisms work at breaking down nutrients in the soil so your plants can absorb them so keep your soil 'sweet'. Standing water in pots and saturated soil stagnates (ask  our Somerset gardeners!). Selenium can help 'balance' soil, mycorrhizal fungi, milk and a glass of brown ale works wonders too. Party time for micro organisms. 

A canopy (20 quid from IKEA) or an open ended cloche can only reduce blight casualties from rain splashed plants but soil health is key. Feed em!

28/05/2014 at 18:30

Thanks everyone.

so FBB sprinkled around plants? What about the ones planted this year with FBB in the planting hole? Therefore how does that work with 'feed well in first year' ? Can they still be fed with diluted feed as well? What happens if they are overfed? 

Are the things Marinelillium mention easy to find in GCs? seaweed, selenium, fungi? How much  milk and brown ale?

Sorry folks, but still confused.

28/05/2014 at 18:38

Yes, fish blood and bone is basically a three month feed but blood is a quick release nitrogen.  

I would apply phostrogen when a god few dry hours are likely. Do it when you can.  If you apply fish blood amd bone at plantImg time, say early spring, the food should be available from mid summer onward.  

A seaweed spray, Epsom salt spray I apply often in the morning on a dry day.  (I sense seaweed spray is not liked by slugs....anyone else think this?)

28/05/2014 at 19:17

Will have alook, hopefully tomorrow for seaweed / epsom salt sprays. Thanks.

28/05/2014 at 21:44

Vitax seaweed spray is around five pounds for half a litre bottle.  Even. Tesco sell it.

One glass of brown ale per shrub straight into the soil Is enough for a whole season As a quick fix.

Milk in a water solution of upto a third milk to water either straight into soil or as a foliar spray.

(sorry iI should have detailed this in the post) HTH.

29/05/2014 at 11:12

Thanks ML.

29/05/2014 at 18:15

You buy the Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) as crystals in a packet - or get your friendly neigbourhood Chemistry teacher to 'borrow' some.  Dissolve them in water (easily) at whatever rate is specified on the box (or by your chemical friend) and water or spray on.

I witnessed the results of seaweed spray on parsnips a couple of years ago.  Someone had sprayed the young plants and by the autumn the roots were so big we could hardly get them out of the ground.  As to the effect on the mollusc population...

email image
11 messages